TechSpot

Windows won't load after deleting partition in front of the Windows partition

1. Ok so I get a new hard drive and decide to install windows on it (XP). I am still keeping my old one, which had 2 partitions (C & D) and my new one had 2 partitions (E &F). I wanted to install this new one while the old one is still installed mainly for backup, because I was also creating the F partition and had backed up everything on my new hdd to my old one. After installing it on the F drive, I then delete my C and D drives and turn them into one, after restarting, my system can't find windows. I figure this is because it was moved down a letter to E, so I go back and split my old hdd back into 2 partitions, and it still doesn't work

So basically I'm wondering if I have to reinstall or if there is a way to fix this

Btw I was using partedmagic to do all of my partitioning

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,987   +168

Partitioning can be tricky as you now know. It is a bit foolish to back up your C drive on another partition of the C drive. If that drive fails, you loose the backup files too. Another problem with multiple partitions on a single drive is that you loose a lot of valuable space doing this...
    I would start over and install Windows XP fresh. Disconnect any other hard drives until Windows is installed. Have fun updating XP to Service Pack 3 and IE8 :)

3. DotExistAsterik

DotExistAsterik TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thx, I figured I would probably have to clean install
    Lol yeah not to mention I have 60kbps internet speed, just makes it that much longer :/

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.