Windows won't load

Alpha Gamer

Today, I started hearing very low beeps while using my computer, I wasn't even sure if it was my pc or if it was coming from outside my apartment. I turned it off for 10min and heard no more beeps. Turned it on again, the mobo screen appeared twice and right after that, I'm forever frozen in that black screen with the white prompt blinking on the upper left corner of the screen. Every boot after that yields the same results. No BSODs

If I press del during the mobo posts, I can get into the bios and everything is normal. CPU, RAM, HD, all detected.

Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz 33 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8P67 (LGA1155) 28 °C
Graphics
E2250 (1920x1080@60Hz)
2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 (Gigabyte) 30 °C
1024MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Elitegroup) 28 °C
ForceWare version: 326.80
SLI Disabled
Hard Drives
932GB Seagate ST310005 24AS SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 25 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW UH12LS29 SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

Miraculously, I got the pc to boot successfully. I ran seatools and my hd passed, also ran memtest overnight and no errors found. Besides backing up everything I may need in case the HD dies, should I just reinstall windows or should I get another hd?

Edit, I've been able boot twice since yesterday, but every time, it takes like 5 to 6min.

Oh my,

I replaced the hard drive with a fresh windows install and the problem persists. I've read somewhere else that resetting your BIOS could solve the issue, done it and nothing. Cleaned my memory sticks with white rubber, nothing.
Some other dude said that setting your sata settings in BIOS to IDE helped him, nothing here.

Your motherboard has UEFI bios (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) Make sure the bios SATA settings are set for AHCI and the drive is formatted GPT not MBR

It is AHCI, but not GPT. Is it possible to convert it to GPT without having to install the drive I just removed?

Sure, but according to all the tutorials and videos I've seen so far, I need to have two hard drives in order to convert one of them to GPT, am I right?
Or is it possible to perform such operation with only one hard drive?

The issue is clearly related to my boot priority settings. It was Bluray Drive>HDD. I did some extensive testing and I found out that whenever I set the boot priority settings to HDD>Bluray Drive, the issue simply doesn't happen and if I set them back to Bluray Drive>HDD, it does. 100% of the time.

Of course this is not ok and I still have no idea of what's going on. I'd still appreciate if someone could shed a light on this.

Thanks for all the help so far.

I myself would say maybe the bluray is going bad, or the sata port it plug into maybe going bad. Try switching it to a different sata port. Then see if you have the problem at boot up.

Last edited:
Back