Windows Wont Shut Down, Reboot, log off,etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

agissi

I was gone for 1 day at a (xbox) lan party, and sure enough to come back my little brother has (somehow :blackeye: ) put spyware all over my computer.. wonder what sites hes been to! After I deleted all the spyware and bogus Weather Bug programs that were installed, I find out Windows wont Log Off, Switch Users, Reboot, go into Standby mode, or shutdown :confused: Whenever I try to do any of the following, simply nothing happens. I've tryed shutting down from Task Manager too. I ran Norton Anti-Virus and I dont have any virus, etc.

Any ideas?

WinXP has a shutdown command. Go to the command prompt & try it, see if you get an error message of some sort.

Originally posted by acidosmosis
Hey Agissi :), did you try Ad-Aware?

Ofcourse! Even their new build 181 so its super fast :D

Also didou, whenever I do the shutdown command, the Explorer closes, however my mouse and wallpaper remain on the screen....forever :dead: It says "Saving Your Settings" and freezes after awhile on that.

I had this problem on my daughters machine a while back.Unfortunately there is no quick answer .In my case Norton AV conflict with chat software .This article from Microsoft helped me track it down.308029

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back