Windows XP 32 Bit Won't Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

revrsethecurse

Hey all I'm running a Lan Party nf4 SLI-DR with 1 gb ram and an 80 GB Sata Hard Drive.

I had 32 Bit windows installed on the machine and wanted to reinstall with a fresh copy, but when I went to install it gave me an error saying that I needed some files from the service pack 2 cd, but the cd included Service Pack 2. I had to it cancel since it would not recognize the CD and after the install finished it was a very bare bones install of windows looking almost like Windows 2000, without any networking features or even internet explorer. So I tried to install the x64 version which worked fine, but hated it due to the lack of compatibility. I decided to bring it into the tech guys at my school but it was to no avail. They ended up dropping the hard drive into another computer and installing xp on there and tried to transfer it back, but the system would continuously reboot before it got to the loading screen. They ran an install repair from the XP boot disk and now it gets to the Microsoft Windows XP load screen until it crashes there. I have not added any new hardware since the system was working properly and am getting the error message:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF7783750, 0xF7A3E430, 0xF7A3E12C)

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Try removing 1 stick of ram when installing {if you have 2 in Dual Channel}, then putting it back in when Windows is installed.

Don't ask me why, but this can often help

Windows is already installed... we installed it on another desktop and it worked fine.

But yes I do have two sticks of dual channel 512 corsair ram. Should I take them out while trying to boot up and see if that makes a difference?

You should take out a single stick of ram while your computer is turned off, and then give it a try. If that doesn't work then turn off the computer and replace the installed ram with the ram you just took out and try again.

Smelly B u t t is just trying to figure out if one of your sticks of ram is dead or dieing.

I've had problems installing Windows on a machine. All I had to do was clean the install disk and try again. You may have to do something similar.

Do you think I should run the memtest you referenced in other threads? I tend to doubt the memory has a problem since x64 bit windows worked fine...? Is there anything in the bios that would have gotten switched after installing a 64 bit version of windows that would give it trouble booting up in the 32 bit mode?

No once you repartition and format your hard drive most everything from the last install is gone. If you're worried about your computer BIOS being set incorrectly then all you have to do is go into your BIOS and reset it to its fail safe defaults. I think your 32 bit copy of Windows XP is either dirty or scratched. If you used a silpstreamed copy of Windows that you or somebody else created then the wrong service pack or update could have been applied to the OS files causing you to have install errors. I've done that before by accident.

Used two different copies of legally purchased windows thru my universities license agreement. Get a good deal :-D, along with two other copies that the IT department tried and neither worked. I also reset the BIOS to default settings and that did not work either. Quite a quandrum.

If that's the case then I don't know what to tell ya. Oh and slipstreamed Windows disks are legal. It's just possible to screw them up if you're not careful.

Yea, I think they are slipstreamed by Windows not the school itself. I would say it was the cd but I've tried 2 cds that I purchased and two the school provided all with the same results. Worked on another desktop though... I suppose I should just suck it up and run x64 windows if I can't get any other suggestions. But it really is a hassle. Couldn't have anything to do with the video card could it? Tried to install Knoppix and it got thru everything and it said that it could not display that resolution mode on the monitor when it tried to boot it up.

Thats a sata hard drive problem try a pata "IDE" hard drive or try reinstalling and you should have a floppy with raid/sata driver on and when installing Windows you get a quick passing "hit F6 to install driver" as you are goinf into XP setup...and that is what you need to do. if you don't have floppy, go to motherboard mfgr site and download it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back