Windows XP 32bit and 4 gb of Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

bman2005

Good afternoon all-

I need a clarification on ram. Currently I have an e6600 (oc'd to 3.3) and 2 gb of ram with the timings cranked down. The performance of the system has been overwhelming and I am very pleased as a whole.

The problem is that the performance over all is so good that I have cranked my settings way up (flying on FSX) - this has led to memory running low or out in some cases.

I understand that 32 bit itself will limit the memory usage of any 1 application to 2 gb. My question is can I get another 2 gb kit (knowing that XP will only see 3.2gb) ultimately this would allow right at 2 gb for FSX and the remainder for other system processes. Is this correct?

I suppose I am unclear as to how windows will utilize this additional ram - will it help me from running out of memory in times when the ram usage spikes? For $50 bucks it seems worthwhile but if there is truly no need, I am all about saving the cash.

Currently my system eats about 500mb at idle periods. With FSX up at startup I am around 1200mb..with addons and complex aircraft I hover around 1700 and on the occasion I spike at 2034 (bad deal when there is only 2047 available). I also have read about the /3 GB switch but didn't know if this is would be needed once I had 2 gb free and clear for FSX. This is the only application I have that even remotely comes close to burning up the ram.

Let me know you thoughts-

Bman

From what you say, I think you would be happy with another 2Gb, but DO make sure it the same type and even manufacturer if you possibly can. The main drawback is you would only see the extra performance on the one game, and games tend to pall fairly quickly.......

Thanks Gbhall - It's already ordered and on the way.
What is "..tend to pall quickly.."

Yes, this will only benefit his one game... however... this is small in comparison to all of my other investments for the simulator.

Attachments

• Matrox - TripleHead 2 Go - 001.jpg
    Matrox - TripleHead 2 Go - 001.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 10
Sorry, is English not your native language? 'to pall' means to 'get bored with, become boring'

Ha, yes, English is my native (and only) language but I don't think I have ever used that word.

Flight Simming will pall... doubtful. I have been holding strong since '89 with microsoft simulator and I have more fun everyday. If only I could figure out how to make a check with it.

Thanks for the English lesson - got it. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pall
I will be sure to use the word today.

Wow, when I took your link, there was a pall hanging over me as it seemed at first I had not used the word correctly. But no, I used it as a verb and that's fine.....ain't English a wonderful language ??

Now it's your turn to bemuse me. What is 'to make a check with it' ?

As in a paycheck .. salary...something to pay the bills.

I think I would almost prefer to work in the simulator industry than my current profession (architect). I know you should do what you love but to work for your hobby might kill what you like about it in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back