Windows XP access denied to Desktop and My Documents

By Wiktor222
Jan 30, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hello I first have a Windows XP Service Pack 3 and when I go the my computer it says access denied for my desktop folder and it is gone. Than I found a thread that said do the following:
    Enter Safe mode as Admin right click the desktop folder click properties, security tab, Advanced tab, click owner, click edit (there was no edit so I skipped it) click your user name (it was not there so I click the Admin and checked Replace Owner on subcontainers and object and clicked OK and yes to regarding permissions.

Once I did this and restarted my computer not only was me desktop folder still missing I could not access My Documents, Now I have a bigger problem. Please help my resume was in there and I need to look for work.
  2. jdillman1502

jdillman1502 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 232

Ok, a few questions to start with.

1. When you boot into normal mode, what username are you logging on as?
    2. What user was the original owner of the Desktop folder before you changed it?
    3. What was the full path to the desktop folder you changed?
  3. Wiktor222

Wiktor222 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Sorry resolved it myself will delete

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.