Windows XP Antivirus messed up the Control Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyd

Hi,
Last week my computer was infected with XP Antivirus virus and my desktop was changed to a "virus" version, along with my screensaver. After running several antivirus and registry-fixing softwares most of the damages from the virus has been cleaned up, and the main components of the virus has been deleted.

However, in the control panel, the display category there was no more option to change the desktop, nor change the screensaver (so the tabs are missing), and also when I go to the system32 file the screensavers won't load (the configure window opens if I clicked on these icons) Is there any way I can fix the registry to bring back the normal control panel (either manually or otherwise)? I have already run the CCleaner thing asa well as RogueFix and my registry should have no problem, but the control panel is still broken

Also, the D-disk won't open, as when double-clicked a window appears asking what program would D-disk open with (??????????) , and when right-clicked the first option is "A~a'aA" (or something like that)

If anyone could offer help on these, it would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Worked for me

Please copy the following (quoted below) to Notepad
File
"Save as"
"All Files" (This is in the bottom area "save as type")
"TabsMissing.reg" (No quotes)
Save in "Desktop" (This is up the top of the Save As box)
Ok

Then right click on the New "TabsMissing.reg" on your Desktop
And select "Merge"
Yes

Restart

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"DisableChangePassword"=dword:00000000
"DisableLockWorkstation"=dword:00000000
"DisableTaskMgr"=dword:00000000
"DisableRegistryTools"=dword:00000000
"NoSecCpl"=dword:00000000
"NoDispCpl"=dword:00000000
"NoDispBackgroundPage"=dword:00000000
"NoDispScrSavPage"=dword:00000000
"NoDispAppearancePage"=dword:00000000
"NoDispSettingsPage"=dword:00000000
"NoVisualStyleChoice"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\Shell]

Let me know how it goes

The registry you gave me fixed the control panel problems, thank you.

However, there are still some problems regarding the D-disk. It cannot be opened by double-clicking, as a window appears asking for what programs may the d-disk open with. Also, when right clicked the dropped down menu displays A~aA' as an option, while "open" is way down the list. (Browse with ACDdee was the second option) Can you please help me solve this problem?

P.S. The themes of XP in the display option in the control panel are gone, too, can you please help me bring them back?

Thanks once again.

Download ShellExView
Make sure that you are running it as an Administrator
The rule is to disable non-Microsoft context menu handlers *one-by-one* and verify if the problem is solved.

Then right click on your D Drive and select "open"
You need to look for a filename with the extension inf (ie autorun.inf) Note this will be in D Drive only (I'm not talking about any subfolders)
This "inf" file may be hidden as well
To show hidden and system files click on Tools->Folder Options->View->show system files, and also show System files-> ok)

Once you locate the autorun.inf file, just delete it
Then put Hidden and system files back to normal (doing the same as above)

Is it sorted now?

I deleted the autorun.inf file from the D-disk, but when double-clicked the file still doesn't open. In fact, now it has become a window saying, "Cannot be opened, access is denied". Also, when right-clicked the drop-down menu is still messed up.

What should I do?
(Oh, and the shellexview thing is rather confusing to operate, so I hesitated disabling anything)

And I suspect it's got something to do with the registry.

Just last night I worked on a computer that had that virus/malware, with the same screen saver and desktop tab missing. After I got rid of the bad stuff I ran Combofix and that got those menus back for me. Might be worth giving a shot.

I ran the combofix, but it didn't help. But I heard the source of the problem is in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/CLSID, where the menu handlers dwell. So if anyone can point out where in that file can the drop-down menu configuration for the D-disk icon in My Computer be found, please let me know.

Thanks

Right, I've stumbled across this dammned virus!

The very same. McAfee likes it so thinking it was an active X control I downloaded it. And because it likes it so much it wouldn't delete it for me either. So I spent ages looking for a file which it could be. I killed the very well protected C:\WINDOWS\algg.exe and the actual virus (as well as it's stupid fake 'AntiVirus' security toolbar) was gone.

Buuuuutttt..... it's effects were still there. My desktop background is gone and control panel has actually been uninstalled (I'm pretty sure of it). Either that or every single way of accessing it has been ruined. I dunno maybe it's path has been changed. Don't want to come across as crazed but I am very angry that I was fooled by a virus (although this was the most convincing one I'd every see). Is there a way I can reboot my control panel and sort this. I'll be able to get my desktop background back because all of the control panel features (bar, speech recognition and Acer Sync Centre LOL) are unavailable.

I've tried the above to no avail so please could some very wise person tell me how to sort this!
Thanks in a very hopeful advance...
Truly disgruntled, ncl1994

Download RatsCheddar

It contains a program written by Rathat, and it is a Policy Controller.
Save and extract this program to the desktop.
Once extracted, Double click on the RatsCheddar.exe file.
Enable everything, then click Exit
Reboot your Computer.

Please reply if it worked :)

If it didn't work, you will need to create your own unique thread, as this thread is for Member dyd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back