Windows XP Black Screen Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having problems with one of my old PCs. I recently did a clean install of XP, but when I booted it up, all I saw was the POST, then the Windows loading screen, and then a black screen without anything on it. So I rebooted again, and I got the disk check, then the black screen again. I rebooted several times just to make sure, and somehow the POST and loading screen stopped showing up, so all I saw was a black screen. Also, during the black screen the LED on my monitor keeps blinking amber, then green, then amber, and so on.

What's going on?

If the monitor is blinking amber, it's not in full power mode. Try using the power switch on the monitor to turn off, then back on. Then, if you can get into the system, check Power Options in the Control Panel.

If I turn off the monitor, then turn it back on, the LED keeps flashing green and amber, and I still have a black screen with nothing on it.

So Windows isn't loading at all? Can you get into the BIOS, set boot order to CD first, hard drive second, save and exit. Insert the Windows XP CD and boot from the setup-again.

Your 'old' PC may have bitten the dust! We can't do much if you can't get in, have nothing on the monitor and the OS doesn't load!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back