Windows XP - Blue screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNWBRDR

Hi,

My sister has some problems with her notebook lately.
It crashes (by showing a blue screen) and reboots.
This happens very random off course, which makes it hard to find the cause.

My brother reformatted the notebook twice, so I don't think the problem is the software.

I scanned the RAM with MemTest86, no errors were found.

Then I scanned the HD with the 'chkdsk /f' command, also no errors were found.

I also installed SpeedFan to view some temparatures etc.
With this program I could view the S.M.A.R.T. details from the HD (can't copy link because of my postcount):

-----

NOTE: not all warnings are reflected on fitness and performance overall values as relevancy is based upon the settings from the hard disk manufacturer who is the best entity deputed to define such relationships.

NOTE : your hard disk has 1 pending sectors. Those are sectors that couldn't be properly read and that the hard disk logic is waiting for a write operation to try to remap to a spare sector (if available). According to the Reallocated Sector Count attribute, your hard disk seems to have available spare sectors. A simple disk surface scan won't be enough to force the remap operation. You need a read/write surface scan to remap the sector. The best option should be a tool that knows about what should be read from that sector so that it has some option to apply the best fix to the missing data.

NOTE : your hard disk Power Cycle Count attribute current value (98) is below the normal range (99 - 100) reported for your specific hard disk model. Basically your hard disk was power cycled more times than the maximum number the average hard disk was. Power cycles put some stress on the hard disk mechanic. Sometimes power cycles can be caused by a loose hard disk power connector. Make sure it is properly fastened.

The overall fitness for this drive is 97%.
The overall performance for this drive is 97%.

-----

I was hoping someone here could help me to solve this.

Thanks in advance.

SNWBRDR

Normally when having the blue screen it is due to a hardware conflict. It is a good point that you check for the RAM. So when you're done with the RAM test just give the results.

I editted my beginpost with the results of the scan.

This is the errorcode and parameters I found in the many savedumps:
0x100000d1 (0x031c6e33, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xf808fa68)

Tried to google it but didn't find a clear cause or solution.

Ok it seem that you HDD is becoming faulty and sometimes making error and thus why you get the blue screen. I don't think it is a connector as it is a notebook just the HDD becoming old. The power cycle is below the range as mentioned in your post.

You will need to change it or make a professional check it if you can to check if everything is ok inside in case the notebook got some shock and if it is ok then you will need to replace the HDD as it will continue to make those errors.

Okay, thank you for your reaction!

Think I gonna bring it in then to let them check and replace the HDD.

BTW, where did you find the information?

I know lot of people that work in IT and lot of them a professional in the domain of IT. I just ask them the problem and they try to find the more possibilities and told me.

Also I have a good knowledge in IT and programming and I already got a problem similar to that but with a Desktop.

I will recommend you to send it to a technician or the agency to test if is well connected and to make some test. After the diagnose they will ask you what need to be done.

I would bring it to the computerstore nearby (where they have technicians and equipment to test it I suppose). Is that what you meant? Because I wouldn't know where to go else.

I am also part of the IT world (just graduated), but this is something I have no experience with. Glad you could help me with this.

I will open a new thread, my uncle's laptop has a similar problem.
Can't find the cause either.
If you would like to to take a look again, that would be great!

Yeah I meant to take it to the IT technicians nearby to you but if you still have a warranty on it then send it to the place you bought it.

Ok just ask what problem you uncle is having with his notebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back