Windows XP boot issues, Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just upgraded my MOBO and videocard in my setup and this is what im running now.

Asus M2N-SLI MOBO
AMD Athalon 64 x2 3800+ CPU
4GB Ram
250GB WD SATA HDD
100GB WD IDE HDD
Nvidia XFX 8600GTS xxx edition Graphics card

and my issue is this. i had vista, finally got rid of it and bought a new copy of xp pro with sp2. now, when i go to boot windows xp (the install process took 5 hours) it just hangs for what seems like ever. i just reinstalled xp because it got hung up booting for 5 1/2 hours last night and just wouldnt boot today. what is seeming to happen is that something is wrong with my boot order or something but i dont know. it goes past my BIOS and POST and then if the windows xp cd is not in, it will just give me one of 5 different DOS error messages. once and a while it will give me the option to tell me i can boot xp, and then tell me its missing files and cant boot, so i put the cd in, and let windows boot, and it just sits on the windows loading bar for a very long time, shortest today being 17 minutes, longest being over an hour. is there something im not doing right? or a way to make this not slow enough to make me never want to turn my pc off again?

dralavant said:
Asus M2N-SLI MOBO
AMD Athalon 64 x2 3800+ CPU
4GB Ram
250GB WD SATA HDD
100GB WD IDE HDD
Nvidia XFX 8600GTS xxx edition Graphics card

and my issue is this. i had vista, finally got rid of it and bought a new copy of xp pro with sp2. ..

Xp doesn't see 4Gig of Ram, unless it's 64Bit
trying removing 2 Gig of it.

Also when you installed Xp, did you also remove the partition (ie not just format)

Try saving all you want to keep, and don't format it but scrub your HD thoroughly with something like Zero Fill, then treat it with Disc Genius, then re-install your XP Pro.. when you have done that, load in what you saved.

BlackKnight8 said:
Try saving all you want to keep, and don't format it but scrub your HD thoroughly with something like Zero Fill, then treat it with Disc Genius, then re-install your XP Pro.. when you have done that, load in what you saved.

and where can i get this zerofill, and/or disc genius? and i have everything i want saved on a different partition of my SATA drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back