Windows xp boot problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyleman

Hey all ive just been given my pa's old intel celleron.
Its got about 800mhz, 300mb of ram, 20gig hdd, cd rom, floppy and an 8mb internal video card.
From the moment i plugged it in i realised something was going well.
When i plugged it in it was very loud and i didnt even have to press the power button for it to turn on. It took a long time to boot up so when it loaded up i deleted a lot of the crap and lowered the resolution. Now i tried to shut it down but it got to the windows is shutting down screen and froze. It sounded like the hdd stopped but everything else was still being noisy.
So i switched it off at the board. When i switched the board back on it didnt really boot up. The hdd and power supply were running very loudly but the cpu was stand still. I tried pressing the buttons but they pretty much kept resetting it to nothing.
I then took the power plug out and put it back in a couple of times to try and get it to boot up, and it did.
Now i need to fix this problem and how it isnt shutting down because it is veeery annoying. I mean I cant even let it sit not even turned on without turning it off at the wall overnight without it being noisy.
Has anyone else had this problem and or know how to fix it?

By the way im running windows xp sp2 with an intel celleron r chipset if that helps.

Install a new hard drive and another 512 MB of memory, clean the power supply and the cpuf fan, and it will be fine.
It would be helpful to know brand and model, hard drive, and free space on the hard drive, but it sounds as if it is about 6 years old.

Hmm yer i know i should be running more ram for xp use but mine works fine already and what would that change. Ive cleaned the fans out already..
Ill try changing the hard drives now but its just none of them have enough space for me and i cant afford to go buying anything.
Ill change the hd over and cd-rom because over googling that seemed to be the cause of it. Ill also find out what the hd im using now is.

Ive also got a suspicion its the case so ill mix and match and see how i go.

If yours works fine already, why did you ask for help. As long as it has only 300 mb, it will work about as fine as it currently works. The noisy hard drive will likely fail soon. You can now get a new 40 GB drive for $43 with free shipping at www.zipzoomfly.com. The noise could be coming from the CD-ROM drive, however. One 256 mb PC133 memory module is about $30, or a 128 MB module is $21.
Then, of course, there is used, where a good used drive and an additional memory module should cost you a total of $15 or less.

No its not that its making noise..its that as soon as its plugged in the power supply like starts the computer up along with the hd, but not always, sometimes they just crank up but its like its in sleep and the on and off buttons wont do anything so i have to unplug and plug the psu back in.
So the problem is with the psu im sure because i tried it on a pentium II with a differnet hd and it did the same thing. So im just gonna look at a new psu. I have a spare psu around but the mobo plug is an older one with 14 pins in one row so if i could find a cheap adapter for that that would be great.

Is there anyway to fix the faulty (atx 300-n) psu from how it is now?

Be safe

Go to www.zipzoomfly.com and buy a 300 Watt ATX Coolmax CX-300B power supply for $30.99 with free shipping, or www.tigerdirect.com get the same thing for 29.99 plus pay for shipping... The Ultra-V at $14.97 should do just fine at Tiger Direct...

You need an ATA power supply... 300 Watts would be wise... but it will run on 200 or 250.

Other on-line sites will have similar deals.

Do NOT fix it, as that is risky and could shorten the life of the computer. Get a decent power supply... Cut out a few meals.

Other good sites: www.directron.com, www.newegg.com, www.outpost.com, www.cdw.com, www.techdepot.com, www.krex.com, and many others.

Thankyou ill have a look into it.
I think ill get the Ultra-V tonight.
Im not sure what the sata cables are though? Will i need them?
Or are they only for p4 mobos?

Cheers for the help mate.

EDIT: On tigerdirect i was looking for ways to buy it but cant i just use like a direct debit (wire transfer) without paying the $30 fee?

OK.
I went to buy it and it says the shipping is F***ing $91!
It should be like $10!
What the hell?

>Its got about 800mhz, 300mb of ram, 20gig hdd

hum; low end and old; consider purchasing a newer low end system
(eg 1.3ghz 512mb, 60gb)

Well its all good ive wiped the hd but backed up the files onto another and its running fine now on another computer and ive bought a power supply off ebay. It should run fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back