Windows XP - Boot Up Issues and more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

New to the forums here, was wondering if any of you can help.

Typing this out on my laptop currently, my desktop is acting all weird right now.
I have been using my desktop for a couple years now, with no issues, last night I was tired and my desktop was shutting down so slowly so I got pissed and forced it to turn off (I usually don't do that).

Now this morning when I wake up, I try to boot it up, it tells me that Windows did not start successfully. So I select the option for it to boot up normally...it tries to, gets to Windows XP load screen (the screen with the bar moving at the bottom), then the BoSD pops up. Not really sure what the error is, it just goes to reboot.

When I tried Last Known Good Configuration, same thing happens. Safemode bootups get stuck on loading SPTD.sys (did a little googling on this, came up with nothing). So I am stuck on what to do and such, any ideas or past experiences that may relate to this idea?

I have not installed any new hardware or software recently.

Thanks,

Fawkes

Boot up issues and more

I have had similar issues in the past myself. I have seen times that if one will shut down the system and retry the safe mode after the system has had a chance to completely cool, that on occasion it will then load the safe mode. (taking you then to an option to restore system)
If this is unsuccessful I would then recommend this website:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm#RI

Regards

Another issue right now is, my dvd drive hasn't been working for a while now u.u I've been living without it. Is there any way I can attempt to fix this issue without the repair?

Safemode gets stuck on the SPTD.sys file..."Press esc if you wish to skip SPTD.sys", or something along those lines.

Heading to class right now, be back to answer any questions in 5 minutes.

Without being able to boot to any part of the windows program (ie.. safe mode) I would suggest you look into getting the dvd (cd player) replaced. I have also seen times when if one will unplug the computer giving it time to reset bios cmos settings that this will then allow the safe mode to load.
That's a long shot based on your description. I'm leaning towards replacing the DVD player such that one can access the XP repair option.
Regards.

Getting into stubborn Windows XP Safe mode.

Getting into Windows XP Safe mode - If after several attempts you are unable to get into Windows XP Safe Mode as the computer is booting into Windows, turn off your computer. When the computer is turned on the next time Windows should notice that the computer did not successfully boot and give you the Safe Mode screen.

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
315222 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/) A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back