TechSpot

Windows XP boots up but can't run programs or access hard drive

By nickspikes
Feb 9, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hello,
    I have a new problem and not sure where to start. My Windows XP PC locked up yesterday, without the BSOD. I unplugged it and re-booted. Windows starts normally, however when I click on My Computer to access drives, I get the Windows hourglass and can't get the icons for my C Drive, external hard drive or DVD drives to appear.

My desktop appears and I can access the Recycle Bin and My Documents folder. But if I try to access My Computer from these folders, the PC freezes. I also can not run IE or any programs. because the PC freezes again. I don't think I got a virus. I'm able to see what's running and nothing out of the ordinary shows up. Any ideas where to start?
    Thanks

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,944   +167

3. nickspikes

nickspikes TS Rookie Topic Starter

You are correct Tmagic. It was malware. I never had anything like that before. I ran Malwarebytes from Safe Mode and it deleted 2 files.

After that I re-booted and everything seems fine.

Thanks so much for your reply!

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,944   +167

Great! Thanks for the update:)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.