Windows XP BSOD - BAD_POOL_CALLER

Hi all,

I have an Acer netbook that is getting the BAD_POOL_CALLER BSOD. Since it is a netbook I cant boot it from the windows cd. I've tried booting windows from usb but I either got hal not found or other BSOD's. I also did a check disk by attaching the hard drive to my desktop but it didnt help the problem. Lastly, I tried booting using an external IDE hookup and a cd-rom drive from my desktop but that also led to a blue screen. I've attached some minidumps to this if they help. Any help any one could provide would be greatly appreciated.

-Tom

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    180.2 KB · Views: 1
All error codes are the same 0x000000C2: BAD_POOL_CALLER
A kernel-mode process or driver incorrectly attempted to perform memory operations. Typically, a faulty driver or buggy software causes this.

The files only cited Window OS drivers as the probable cause and Windows drivers are usually too general to be of any diagnostic help.

1. How old is this system?

2. Have you experienced any infections lately? Installed or updated software?

3. Can you boot into Safe Mode?

4. Do the following: Start > Run > type in EventVwr.msc > Okay and then note any Yellow Triangles and Red Xs and what they flag.

Thanks for your response...I've answered your questions below.

1. How old is this system?
The system is about a year or old.

2. Have you experienced any infections lately? Installed or updated software?
I did a virus scan with the netbook hd plugged in to my desktop - it found a few viruses but cleaning them did not help the BSOD.

3. Can you boot into Safe Mode?
No. I cant boot with anything. None of the options when you press F8 boots the computer.

4. Do the following: Start > Run > type in EventVwr.msc > Okay and then note any Yellow Triangles and Red Xs and what they flag.[/QUOTE]
The computer won't boot up....can this be done with the netbook hd as a slave on a desktop.

Also, I did a memtest (8 passes in approx. 9 hrs) and all of them passed.

#2 is my greatest concern. You could still be infected. Infection will cause the issues you are experiencing. Yes on #4. Slave it and run diagnostics as well as virus scans.

Two things:

1. You may violate any remaining warrenty.

2. Check out our Virus and Malware Removal forum's Updated 8 Step Sticky. But first, we need to access your harddrive.

I'll take a stab at those things. Just to confirm...its possible to run the event viewer on a slave hd?

You should be able to but the first thing I would do is run another virus scan. What security software have you been running?

Caution: AVG has been documented to have crippled both Vista and 7 systems. This was on the internet about a month ago. Crippled is not my term but the article's term. Since then they have removed the update that caused the problem.

But in the last three weeks a few of the poster's issues here was directly connected to AVG. I'm not saying AVG is definitly your problem but I suggest that when you access your harddrive to unstall and see if stability returns.

Use ESET's online scanner to check your harddrive.

Back