TechSpot

Windows XP corrupted boot.ini and hal.dll missing, will not boot

By conrthomas
Jul 19, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Windows XP corrupted boot.ini and hal.dll missing, will not boot [SOLVED]

Hello,
    I am having a problem booting my windows xp dell inspiron 700m. When I try to boot windows, it flashes "corrupted or missing boot.ini" for a split second, and then displays the message "System could not locate hal.dll" or something to that effect. I must have corrupted the MBR or the boot record and maybe even the partition tables. I went into windows recovery console, and did FIXMBR and FIXBOOT with no success. It is my understanding that windows recovery console should pull up a list of windows installs to choose from to fix. That did not come up, as it went straight to the C:\ recovery console prompt. Therefore the system seems to be unable to detect a windows install. I confirmed this by trying to use a windows xp upgrade, and it said that it couldn't detect any previously installed versions of windows and therefore would not update.

I can provide further laptop specs on request.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

And technical language is welcome, I am computer-proficient.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.