Windows XP crashes on loading screen with SATA plugged in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

First post so here goes....

Just built a new pc using asus k8n mobo.

Formatted both hard disks 40gb maxtor ide hdd and 200gb sata hdd.

Installed windows xp on the sata drive.

On reboot after the format and file transfer stage, the computer froze on the windows xp loading screen (the one with the logo and the bar the goes across) It doesnt total freeze, the bar keeps going but never gets past that screen.

So I booted from cd again, froze in the windows installed on the disk checking of the sata drive.

Unplugged the SATA drive and booted from cd fine, installed windows xp on ide drive and installed and booted fine with just the ide.

Plugged the sata drive back in and reformatted it so now hav ide with windows, sata as backup. freezes on boot screen?!

what could be causing this? how do i fix it?? driving me NUTS!!
sorry for the long description!

Just thought of other useful info....

When I try and boot with windows installed on the IDE and the SATA not plugged in now, it comes up with "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware etc etc Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware"

Ive checked boot device priority and only IDE drive, Floppy and DVD-RW drive are present there?

hope it helps to work it out!!
thanks

Argghh!

Is there something wrong with my thread? A guy just got 14 views and a solution in 2mins on this board, ive got 7 views and no solution and tearing my hair out!!!

Did you install the SATA drivers on the SATA HD before installing WinXP on it?
You will need to install the mobo drivers onto the IDE HDD (this will have the sata drivers) WinXP needs them to "see" the SATA drive when it boots from the IDE drive.

When I try and boot with windows installed on the IDE and the SATA not plugged in now, it comes up with "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware etc etc Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware"

Ive checked boot device priority and only IDE drive, Floppy and DVD-RW drive are present there?

This probably a conflict in the Boot.ini file on the IDE drive, when you installed XP the SATA was connected. Here's a link to correct that:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289022

Edit: Oops, meant to add: this is just a starter, there are other more knowledgable members here which can direct with more detail.

Cheers.

Thanks for that

So what is the best thing to do?

Wipe everything, start again, install xp on the IDE then install SATA drivers then plug in SATA drive and format it?

reali appreciate response! :)

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

legionxiiii. I have deleted your new thread and moved this one to the storage and networking forum.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

any idea anybody?

*added below from another thread... Please keep the same problem to the same thread. It's easier to help you and easier to help others* - Spike

hmmm... I have no floppy drive on this pc.... i didnt think i would need one, oops! any idea how to do this without floppy?

Tried, tried and tried again!

Hi again,

Tried what you said, made the F6 disk, installed the SATA drivers before windows.... got to the checking IDE drive 0 something 182gb... and it froze...

turned off pc and unplugged SATA drive again, tried again and worked fine without SATA drive. Installed windows great. Rebooted with SATA fine, checked in 'My Computer' and both drives present. Rebooted and now freezes on black screen just after the loading screen it was crashing on before.

If I unplug the SATA drive I can boot then plug in drive and reboot with the sata but on 2nd boot with sata plugged in, freezes on black screen?

Anybody think the SATA drive might be broken??

I don't think the SATA is broken, I think you might have a boot.ini conflict, but you also might have a problem with the size of the IDE drive.
Here's a link explaining a little more about the 137Gb barrier:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic36678.html

Right click on the My Computer icon/properties/advanced Tab/Start up and Recovery/at the top press Edit button. This is your boot.ini file.
Here's a link explaining what you should see:http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289022

Let me know how it goes and I'll see if I can get us some more support.

Cheers.

still not working

OK, I tried some of the stuff in that thread, like partitioning into 2x 100gig, did that, had to reboot for the windows install (you know the drill) and when rebooted, didnt go into the next stage, was back at square one, now when i try and install windows on the sata, it freezes on the checking disk stage right after you choose "press enter to install xp"

I also tried installing windows on the sata without the IDE in the equasion, no luck.

any ideas?!?!?

I don't know if this will solve anything but since you don't have a floppy drive installed, make sure it is not one of the boot drives in the boot order in the BIOS. Just grasping for straws. It probably doesn't matter one way or the other.

Anybody think the drive is bad?
Any way i can test it other than throw it into a furnace and burn the f***in thing!?
thanks again for the help so far btw! :D

I've got the same problem since yesterday. I have a WDC 40GB IDE hard disk drive (XP pro is installed on it) and an 80 GB Maxtor SATA HDD. Everything had been working fine for more than an year but now the boot process stops just before the log on screen. Instead, there is a black screen. Booting in safe mode is also impossible...but as soon as I plug out the SATA cabel from the motherboard or the power cabel from the SATA HD,D everything goes perfect. So I've sent my Maxtor to a service center. I'll be reporting the results.
One thing I haven't check is this:

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.3c67e325e0a6b1f6294198b091346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software%20Downloads/Top%20Downloads&downloadID=113

. You can try it. May be this is going to help us determine whether this is a hardware or a software problem.

I've got the same problem with a maxtor SATA drive. Computer is up to date on everything, the drive actually did work just fine for awhile. Maxtor PowerMax reports all drives as in good shape.

My motherboard is a ABIT KN8 SLI, all diagnostics report that everything runs great. Since SATA is hotswappable I can still access the drive, however it will eventually freeze up if I leave it plugged in. If I try to boot with it plugged in I just get the aforementioned scrolling bar screen.

What I have seen elsewhere is that it may be the nVidia SATA controller and the Maxtor drive not working well together. Anyone know of any generic SATA drivers for XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back