Windows XP desktop turns white

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm working on a friend's emachine to get rid of spyware. Windows XP SP3 desktp turns white on start up. background will not show no matter what I select. Sometimes after getting rid of spywre only the top quarter of the screen is white until I try to change it, then it all turns white again.
I followed updated 8 step removal instructions.
Waiting for reply.

Welcome to TS. You appear to be dealing with residue from the infection. Your description is confirmed by HJT.
HJT > O24 - Desktop Component 0: Privacy Protection - (no file)

Inspect dispaly properties for references to a local page or a link to a web site:
start > run desk.cpl > desktop > customize desktop > web

Explanation: On the taskbar, click start, click run, enter desk.cpl, click tab 'desktop', click customize desktop, click web.

Delete findings you consider undesirable.

MBAB, SAS, or other programs may have already removed these. Some aspects of the infection used registry hacks. Use 'ratcheddar' to undo 'hacks'.

Download RatsCheddar
It contains a program written by Rathat, and it is a Policy Controller.
Save and extract this program to the desktop.
Once extracted, Double click on the RatsCheddar.exe file.
Enable everything, then click Exit
Reboot your Computer.

Your feedback helps us understand the ways malware leaves annoyances and which methods are effective.

Resolved - Thanks

The computer is all clean now.
MBAB, SAS, and other programs (from initial 8 step removal instructions) already removed the infections, but what you described above got rid of the residue.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back