Windows XP & Driver malfunction Crash (BSOD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I'm desperate with a problem in my laptop.

It comes with W.Vista, but I wanted to change to W.XP (does it make any sense 2 you all? hehe)

The fact is that with W.Xp I'm having random BSOD's, and, after a few work with Google and searching tech forums (including yours), I have been able to find some related problems / answers / solutions, but none of them works for my system.

I've tried to:
1.- Re-install Windows.
2.- Disable network cards, video cards, etc, in order to isolate the problem, but with no results.
3.- Notice the situations when it fails, trying to figure out what's the problem about. But it seems to be no linked to any single situation.
4.- Set the dump in Windows and download and use the Windows debuger. Then I think I've found something related to a driver corruption, or something like this (see attached dump)
5.- Run the windows device verifier. It fails with wmiacpi.sys (see details in attachment), but don't know if this is the main problem or not. However, I have disabled in the registry all entries with EnableACPI to OFF just in case (don't know if this is good or not). BSOD is still there...
6.- Take a look at the event viewer, but can't figure out anything (maybe I'm not techy enough)

If there is some driver problem, I have one more problem: ACER & Microsoft doesn't allow in Spain for the Acer laptops users to install Windows XP, so they have retired all XP drivers... So I found them in a LatinAmerican "not to much updated" ACER web site. So it is very probbably that my problem is related to some old driver... In such case, I would need to know what exact driver is the problem about to be able to search for any good version or something like this... Or, at least, to disable such driver (in case it is possible).

Could some caritative soul help me with this, please?

Many Thanks in advance.

P.S: If you need more deep information, please ask for it.
Please, sorry if you find some info in Spanish and feel free to ask me to translate it to you.

We should start with better range and detail for your system specs

Try Everest Home Edition to get the specs.
Download from here and run it
- Click File->Preferences. Select English
- Click Reports->Report Wizard
- Get a Custom Reprot in simple txt, Check Computer, motherboard, display, network

and post the file back here

Now that i also see your operating system and while i take a look could you also

Start->Run, enter devmgmt.msc and get to Device Manager.

Do you see any ? listed and/or text that simply says Unknown Device Be sure to expand Universal Serial Bus and everything within it fully as you go look

Uninstall Folderlock. It's known to cause problems. Post some minidump files if it continues to crash.

peterdiva
Where are you seeing Folderlock? Or is this something you know runs on Acers?

oscarib
Haven't look thru all of the Report yet but you're a bit low free space on C: Probably not the source of problems but yoiu should free up some space. Will guess it's about time to do a defrag as well

/********** EDIT ***************/
And still provide that feedback on Device manager

There's a debug log in the first attachment. WindrvNT.sys belongs to Folderlock.

STACK_TEXT:
b3d44c00 8054b0ba badb0d00 80564f50 86feaf90 nt!KiTrap0E+0x238
b3d44cb4 8054b75f 00000001 b3d44d64 01d45b6c nt!ExDeferredFreePool+0xb4
b3d44cf4 8054b95f 86c336c8 00000000 b3d44d48 nt!ExFreePoolWithTag+0x47f
b3d44d04 baba52bf 86c336c8 000000a2 86feaf90 nt!ExFreePool+0xf
WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.
b3d44d48 8054161c 0000091c 01d45b90 01d45b98 windrvNT+0x52bf
b3d44d48 7c91e4f4 0000091c 01d45b90 01d45b98 nt!KiFastCallEntry+0xfc
01d45ba0 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 0x7c91e4f4

Hi guys,

Regarding the device manager, I have 3 devices in "?", which are called "System Base Device".
I don't know where to find its drivers, since, as I told you, ACER doesn't support them in XP.
¿Do you think my problem could be related to this?

FolderLock was installed a few days ago, and of course I have been experiencing that BSOD's a long time ago. So I suspect it is not related to the software. But, If you still think it could help, I can of course uninstall the software.

I have been looking at the dumps, and it seems to fails sometimes IExplorer, sometimes other processes... Not always the same.

Regarding free space on C:, I just tell you C: is for Vista, so I suposs is not under the problem, because XP is installed in F: and all virtual memory is paged to F:
I'm gonna perform HD defrag, as well as MFT defrag and check sectors in both F: and C:, and I will erase some folders on C: to free some space, just in case it is, at least, remotely related.

Many Thx!

It's done!

Hi guys,

Searching for a place to download up to date drivers, I found driveragent.com.
It warn me about 36% of the drivers needed to be updated.
I did it.
Now I am 1h working without BSOD's.
So problem solved.... I hope...
Thanks you all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back