Windows XP ethernet problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

pedxing

Hi

I got a strange problem with my ethernet controllers in XP SP3. I had a power brown out which accidentally shut off my computer, and since then I can't get my ethernet to work. I have already isolated the problem to my computer; not a network issue.

I have an Asus motherboard with dual ethernet ports and with both I get the "network cable is unplugged" message. I tried an additional ethernet port on a PCI card and I have the same problem, & same message.

In device manager, I have tried reinstalling drivers, disabling/enabling, and even uninstalling the devices. Then when I reboot all 3 controllers reappear with higher numbers such as "local area connection 9", "local area connection 10", local area connection 11", etc. Why is that?

Any ideas what my problem might be? Could those higher numbers be the problem?

Very frustrated.

Totally uninstall or disable all your drivers, then reboot and reinstall them one at at time.

Totally uninstall or disable all your drivers, then reboot and reinstall them one at at time.

Thanks for the quick response. I have tried this and all drivers automatically reinstall upon rebooting. I would not have guessed that would happen, but it really did somehow.

First, go to Start->Control Panel->System->Advanced->Startup and Recovery->Settings->System Failure-> and uncheck Automatic Restart.

This change will give you the control you need to correct the other problems, and will give you error messages you do not now receive due to the automatic restarts.

Ok, that helped me to enable the adapters one by one.

Still getting "network cable is unplugged" with all three ports/adapters. And I know it is not the cable.
Any other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back