Windows XP explorer.exe problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I have this problem where I log into windows, and whenever i scroll over my taskbar (including start button) it changes into an hourglass and cannot click anything. my quick launch button area is also frozen and it won't even show my buttons (instead showing a darker blue patch of nothing on it). Whenever I try to click anything, anywhere on the desktop area, my pointer once again turns into hourglass and essentiallly "freezes" since I cannot access any of my files or programs.

The only thing I can do is ctrl-alt-del to open up my task manager, where I can have the option to restart/shutdown , etc. but again cannot access any programs using the "new task" tab on it.

All I can do basically is restarting and cannot even try to fix it by accessing any of my anti-virus or other securtity programs.

Also, when I try to reboot my computer, it always show a ëxplorer.exe is not responding message before shutting down completely.

I really do not want to lose my data. So is there anyhting i can do to mend this problem?

My computer spec:

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
2GB DDR2 1000 RAM

Thanks for reading.

Check these first:
1. Control Panel> Folder Options> View tab> if checked UNCHECK 'show hidden files and folders'> Apply> OK.
For some reason, leaving this feature checked has been known to cause unexplained Explorer crashes.
2. Since you can get into the Task Manager> check processes tab> what else is showing CPU usage besides taskmgr, System or System Idle?

Please check the Event Viewer for Error(s) that corresponds to the time of the crash:
Start> Run> cmd> type in eventvwr
Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:
1. Click to open the log>
2. Look for the Error>
3 .Right click on the Error> Properties>
4. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow
5. Paste here (Ctrl V)
Ignore Warnings. Please don't paste the entire event Log.

Hopefully this will help us get some idea of why Windows Explorer is crashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back