Windows XP formatting problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

I'm having a problem with formatting windows. The computer is an older notebook.
When I choose a fresh installation of windows, computer shuts down (with no errors whatsoever) after all the installation files are loaded (kernel, etc..)
I've run the ram test, but no errors were found. So can anyone can tell or suggest me what is wrong.

I'm apologizing if any thread like this already exist, and also for my bad (not so good:) ) English.

Greets, johnan

A little more information please.

Ram test - was it memtest86? What was the duration of the run?

Are you using an Installation CD? XP? Vista?

Are you using OEM System Recovery CD?

Formatting / HDD problem may require low level format of the HDD. I would try to find this tool for the specific brand of HDD @ their site.

Recovery Console may be useful to run chkdsk and bootfix and fixmbr before doing the low level format. With no OS, bootfix has nothing to work on. However, the Recovery Console will show what files are in C:\windows.

While working on this, disconnected any extra equipment from the notebook.

Yes it was memtest86. Duration of the run was about 30 min

Actually its dvd :) XP OS.

I'm not using OEM System Recovery CD.

I'll try with recovery console, but i doubt that this will help

I'm wondering if maybe there's something wrong with the motherboard..

This is the classic "can't boot" problem. Notebooks/laptops don't give easy access for troubleshooting. From your description, you are in the PE environment (pre-execution; Windows not loaded to hard drive). Precisely where - I can't say.

Hardware extraction = loading drivers from the CD.
Stable hardware platform; Screen informs user of progress.

Those 2 mileposts are just my "invention". Feel free to use your findings to describe what's working.

Purists here want 7 passes through memtest. 1 pass is usually good enough for gross problems such as this.

HDD & video failures probably have higher incidents. PSU & mobo cannot be discounted.

memtest takes a log time to run, 7 passes will take all night to run on most computers. if u run less than that, then u do not know if the mem. is good or not.

So, probably this is a Hardware issue.

I've run 3 passes trough the memtest and as i already said there were no errors. Should i do 7 passes?

Can you advise me any other test that should be done?

Can this be a problem with overheating?

UBCD - Ultimate Boot CD is a collection of utilities on a bootable CD. Memtest86 is one of the utilities.

Bart PE is another "Windows PE" platform (UBCD uses some of this capability)

Bootable CDs for: Linux - Ubantu - Koppex

Any of the above will start using the computer hardware and exercise other parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back