Windows XP freezes on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blekk

Hi,

I have just turned on my PC, logged into my xp account and after loading up for around 1 minute, the cursor freezes, nothing else loads into the tray and no keyboard commands work.

Before turning my PC off yesterday, the only things that have changed is a little overclocking on my "temporary" graphics card Nvidia 7300GS (because my other graphics card died a few months ago). I used Nvidia's nTune software to up the clocks about 50mhz each and they passed the Nvidia test fine.

I then played 3d games after this and there was no problem so I don't know why it would cause this problem on startup.

The only other thing I had done was install Windows C# EE 2008 which requires a restart before use so I am guessing it needs to configure some extra things on the next power up of the PC...could this be the problem?

To sumarise, my PC loads the windows logon screen for XP and I log in fine, but when it starts loading the taskbar icons etc it freezes completely after about 1 minute. I believe this could be to do with the graphics card overclocking (although it was a small overclock and it passed the tests fine and games ran fine after doing it) or it could be the Microsoft C# EE 2008 installation.

Any ideas?

Thankyou for your time,

Blekk

It has happened every single time today, yes.

EDIT: I have now system restored my PC back to before installing the Nvidia nTune software (2 days ago) but the freezing still occurs. I used Safe Mode to use System Restore.

Any ideas? Because I'm all out.

Thanks,

Blekk

After reluctantly system restoring to about 1 week ago, the problem seems to have gone, I have no idea what could have caused it a week ago but it seems to have worked.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back