Windows XP freezing on loadup help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

stryderhiryu

Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2
AMD athlon 64 X2 Dual
Core Processor 6000+
3.01 GHz, 2 GB Ram

Hi everybody, I'm new here and I'm in need of serious help. I've been at it for 4 days now. My computer suddenly just froze up and crashed, seems to be loading something. Once I reboot it up, it goes up to the desktop and starts loading some taskbar items and there it freezes again and again. So I cant do anything on it, I've tried taking out my graphics card but it made it worst because same thing happen and cannot run in safe mode. I've put it back in and could now run in safe mode. But before getting into it I get alot of text saying..

e.x: multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\acpi.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\pci.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\pciide.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\mup

and the list goes on, theres alot more but you get the point. I thought that it was a graphics card issue because after the crash the comp theres no longer any audio or video device and there is no sound. I've tried repairing windows and it asks me to locate video graphic setup, first time audio, recovery console, formatting and reinstalling fresh copy of windows only to find out after half a day the same problem occurs. I'm to the point of giving up and building a completely new computer... I'm trying to avoid this but if I have I have to. Can anyone please help me in solving this? Any help is appreciate, thx in advance

If you're having hardware problems, reinstalling isn't going to help unless you make changes. To do that, you have to identify the cause.

Check the Device Manager for errors: you click on the + sign to the left to expand the section, then look for yellow triangle with black ! point:

Start> Run> type in devmgmt.msc> enter> pay special attention to the drivers for audio or video device.

the problem is there is no yellow triangle indicating there is something wrong, all seems to be normal. When normal windows load up, it'll just freeze and I cannot click on anything :(

I have check some of the other posts about event viewer to see what errors and heres what i've found.

Event Type: Error, Event Source: DCOM, Event ID: 10005
Description: DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode" attempting to start the service wuauserv with arguments
Well this one is obviously since I can only run in safe mode :(

Event Type: Error, Event Source: Disk, Event ID: 7
Description: The device, \Device\Harddisk1\D, has a bad block

Warning Properties
Event Type: Error, Event Source: Disk, Event ID: 7

Event Type: Error, Event Source: PlugPlayManager, Event ID: 12
Description: The device "NAVEX15" (Root\LEGACY_NAVEX15\0000) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal

Event Type: Error, Event Source: Service Control Manager, Event ID: 7026
Description: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AmdK8
eeCtrl
Fips
SPBBCDrv
SRTSPX
SYMTDI

Event Type: Error, Event Source: Ntfs, Event ID: 55
Description: The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:
I have run the chkdsk before but it always crash/stop on stage 4 0f 5 at 98%

Warning Properties
Event Type: Warning, Event Source: Windows File Protection, Event ID: 64008
Description: The protected system file c:\windows\system32\drivers\mspclock.sys could not be verified as valid because WFP is termination. Use the SFC utility to verify the integrity of the file at a later time

There are some Winmgt warnings as well. But the 2nd error up there came up the most. Anyway I can fix this?

Okay, you're ahead of me. I was just coming by to leave the Event Viewer directions. Usually you can ignore Warnings. Usually they will become an Error if they don't resolve.

About Safe Mode: although you can only access Safe Mode now, you can still look for Errors at times when you were in Normal Mode, or trying to get into it. As you noted:
DCOM, AmdK8, eeCtrl, Fips, SPBBCDrv, SRTSPX, SYMTDI don't load in Safe Mode.

1. Regarding Event ID 64008, mspclock.sys:
This is a Sound Driver. The file is MS Proxy Clock. If it continues or does not resolve, you might have to use the System File Checker to repair or replace. This is a new file for me. It is a legitimate MS file.

2. Event Error ID7, Source: Disk, Description: The device, \Device\Harddisk1\D, has a bad block
From Microsoft:
Start> Run> cmd> type in Chkdsk /ron the named partition.
If Chkdsk reports no errors but you continue to receive this message, run hardware diagnostics on the disk drive named in the message and on its controller- you might have to replace the controller, the disk drive, or both.

Open Disk Manager (diskmgmt.msc), it'll point out to you which drive is Disk 1. I don't know if this is the CDROM drive.
------------------------------------------
3. Error ID 12, Source PlugnPlay mgr, Description: "navex15.sys device driver could not load":
Since this is a driver, if you were in Safe Mode, it's not going to load. It is for Norton AntiVirus™ 2003 or 2004 installed, either as a stand-alone product, or as part of Norton SystemWorks™ or Norton Internet Security™.
-----------------------------------------
4. Event ID: 55, Event Source: Ntfs,
Description: The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:
I have run the chkdsk before but it always crash/stop on stage 4 0f 5 at 98%
Let's try to run the full Error Checking program:
My Computer> Right click on Local Drive- usually C> Properties> Tools> Error Check> check both boxes on the screen that comes up> OK> Close the nag message and reboot.

Let me know if it completes.

Here's tip for the Event Viewer- might make it easier the 'next time':

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:
[1]. Click to open the log>
[2]. Look for the Error>
[3] .Right click on the Error> Properties>
[4]. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow >
[5]. Paste here (Ctrl V)
[6].NOTES
  • You can ignore Warnings and Information Events.
  • If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed.
  • You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.
  • Please do not copy the entire Event log.
Errors are time coded. Check the computer clock on freeze.

I've just tried to run windows normally but as soon as desktop shows up, it locks and freezes therefore I cannot run a full chkdsk. I tried running it on safe mode with ms-dos but it doesn't repair anything. It does show that it has 1212 kb of bad sectors on my C: drive. But something is causing me from running windows normally since I can run safe mode. So I guess the problem is the Event ID7 which is repeatedly shown on event list but how am I able to run in safe mode, sorry I don't know anything about computers :x

Main problem when I repair windows for about 3-4 times now, it always asked me to locate audio and video drivers in the middle of installation and when I formatted it is fine for a couple hours than while playing games it happened again crashed restart, same problem

I don't know if this will make any significant difference but give it a try:

Event ID 64008: Windows File Protection

This is related to the sound.

You may have to go ahead and run the System File Checker and you will probably need the CD for the OS:
To run the system file checker press Start, Run, and then type in SFC, followed by its options- this one:
SFC /scannow Note pace between C and /

This causes SFC to scan your system immediately. SFC can take a few minutes to run. Have your installation CD or equivalent available in case SFC needs to replace a damaged file.

If you have no CD, but you do have an I386 directory or CD image somewhere, check out this article: How do I tell Windows where my I386 folder has moved? Once you make the changes therein, you should be able to run SFC to completion.

hmm just tried to type it in and the dos window pops up and disappears immediately and nothing happens thereafter. Everything is in safe mode because I cannot get into normal window. There are so many different things going on in my head right now as to what I need to change about my comp to make it work... I don't know if it is the harddrive because there are continous disk7 errors or if it is my audio or video because they arent working at all. I use the integrated audio from the motherboard which is a new board that I only had for a month or so...

Well that is good news! If the CDROM drive is 'D', then that's where the problem is. But to be sure:

Open My Computer is check what has the letter 'D'.
Make sure you don't have a disc in the drive. If it's an external one, disconnect it.

I have a laptop and the DVD-RW drive has the 'D' designation.

my D: drive is my dvd+-rw

how did you come to conclusion that is that drive? Usually it has nothing in it when it crashed and when i try to restart... hmmm

Ok I just instantly unplugged my D: drive and restarted my computer, I have scheduled a chkdsk on startup and this is what it shows:

Chkdsk is verifying indexes (Stage 2 of 3)
Correcting error in index $I30 for file 6691
Correcting error in index $I30 for file 6691
Sorting index $I30 in file 6691

Correcting error in index $I30 in file 42648
Correcting error in index $I30 in file 42648
Sorting index $I30 in file 42648

Recovering orphaned file 00000ff.query (6883) into file 6691
Recovering orphaned file 117.DAT (42670 into file 42648)

It has about 20-30 recovering orphaned file "#.DAT" files
I dont know what those DAT files are and not sure how they are related to the system32\drivers files but hope it works

ok stage 3 went by and it fix some bad clusters and some other stuff I couldn't tell what it was because it went by too fast. Once windows restarted, its gotten worst... While the Windows logo is booting it suddenly turn into blue screen of death and it disappeared in a split second too fast to see anything but I know for sure it is a problem there is a 00000000000x???? something error. Each time i restart it gets to the BSOD and reboots my computer. I cannot go into normals windows, cannot go into any kind of safe mode... It just won't boot past the BSOD, what can I do now? Sorry for bothering you so much, but I really need help and thanks for sticking with me on this

how did you come to conclusion that is that drive?

I didn't conclude it -it says so:

Finish up what you're working on now, then I want you to try this again: IF you're getting a BSOD and not a black screen, you should be able to get into Safe Mode: you need to

1)Disable automatic restart on system failure. This should help by allowing time to write down the STOP code properly.Keep pressing the F8 key during Start-Up and select option- Disable automatic restart on system failure.

Do not re-enable automatic restart on system failure until you have resolved the problem. Check for variants of the Stop Error message.

Boot into Safe Mode
  • Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.
  • Select the Safe Mode option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER.
There will also be Error Reports in Event Viewer. Look in the System log:

If you can boot into Safe Mode, please do this: you are going to try and find the Error that corresponds to the time of the BSOD. It will have the error code in it- I need that and the rest of the info in the Error.
00000000000x???? something error

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:
[1]. Click to open the log>
[2]. Look for the Error>
[3] .Right click on the Error> Properties>
[4]. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow >
[5]. Paste here (Ctrl V)
[6].NOTES
  • You can ignore Warnings and Information Events.
  • If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed.
  • You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.
  • Please do not copy the entire Event log.

Errors are time coded. Check the computer clock are get approximate time of BSOD..

ok just did what you said, blue screen saids

Unmountable_boot_volume

Stop: 0x000000ED (0x89DC2900, 0xC0000090, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

I tried to go into safe mode but it still shows the
multi(0)disk(0)...etc etc system32\drivers

than it reboots itself every time i try to go into safe mode

Okay, MS has help but I have copied their advice below first:

When you restart your computer or upgrade to Windows XP, you receive the "STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" error message

Advanced troubleshooting
These methods are intended for advanced computer users. If you are not comfortable with advanced troubleshooting, you might want to ask someone for help, use the Microsoft Customer Support Services Web site to find other solutions, or contact Support. See the "Next steps" section for more information about the Microsoft Customer Support Services Web site.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297185

If you feel you can handle this comfortably, go ahead. But if not, get some hands-on help.

I will try the support from the microsoft site but while I do that, I gotta let you know that the only thing in my computer is that my HDD is using an IDE cable still and not SATA, that might be causing a problem. As well as the power cable from the power supply is not as big as the available pins on the motherboard or was it the other way around XD the power cable might be the one with more pins but I don't think that is the problem, it might be the IDE cable although the MB does have an IDE slot. I will post back after going through microsoft support site and if all else fails, I guess I will install the new hard drive and stop using IDE cable period.

hmm ok nothing is working anymore, I have switched the IDE cable to see if it works like the ms support said but it is not working. I don't know what the UDMA is, I've had the computer for a couple years if it was that it would have been messed up a long time ago... Out of options again sigh... other thing said on the support page is a bad hard disk does that mean hard drive gone bad? because my D: drive still works and it would have caused the problem also a long time ago

Your hard drive is C, the bad block is on D which is your CD drive. Try running an error check on the D drive. Let if both scan and fix. If you need additional help, please post in the hardware forum.

I don't know how to scan my drive to see which is the problem, my computer wont boot in any mode it'll only restart. But as you said if it was my D: drive, if i replace it and reinstall fresh copy of windows will everything be ok and the problem wont come back again? since i just recently reinstall windows I dont have anything on it.

Sorry, no one's help comes with a guarantee. We do out best to identify a cause and try to find a resolution. That is the best we can do on an online computer help board- any board!

I had one thought I'd like you to check out. IF you can access the BIOS, check and make sure it isn't trying to boot from the D drive. That may sound a little crazy but it's worth checking. Glitches and gremlins sometimes play havoc with out systems and chasing them around isn't easy!

Thank you for all your help so far ^^

Ok I've come up with another problem now... in the process of reinstall and repairing and all those chkdsk.. now I cannot read my S: Drive which is my backup driver. It has became a dynamic disk where my windows cannot read it anymore, I cannot open it either and I dont want to revert it back to basic disk because I have 900 Gigs worth of animation on there that I dont want to lose... anything I can do to solve this problem?

Thank you for all your help so far ^^

Ok I've come up with another problem now... in the process of reinstall and repairing and all those chkdsk.. now I cannot read my S: Drive which is my backup driver. It has became a dynamic disk where my windows cannot read it anymore, I cannot open it either and I dont want to revert it back to basic disk because I have 900 Gigs worth of animation on there that I dont want to lose... anything I can do to solve this problem?
It appears that you have a major hardware problem. I have nothing else to give you. You can try putting this up on the hardware forum, but you've done everything that has been suggested regarding a 'fix'.

EDIT: See if there is anything here you can use. Note that the mup system was last listed on the BSOD>
http://www.aitechsolutions.net/mupdotsysXPhang.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back