Windows XP hangs at start up with USB device plugged in

By chuckericson
Nov 8, 2006
  1. Hello:

I have recently purchased a Microsoft wireless desktop combo (keyboard and mouse) and have an issue that I hope can be resolved.

The problem is that whenever I boot my computer and this USB device is plugged in, Windows won't start. If I unplug the device and restart, Windows will start normally, and I can then plug the device in and it works fine. Kind of a hassle to have to plug and unplug for every boot. I can plug this into any USB port and get the same action. All other USB devices work correctly. I have looked everywhere for an answer to this, including Microsoft, but I can't find one.

The HD has recently been reformatted (thinking that might have helped), all updates have been made, and no conflicts are shown in the device manager. If it helps, I have Windows XP Pro, a Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz processor, 250MB of HD, 1.5 GB memory.

Any suggestions as to how I may get this running properly? Any info is greatly appreciated.

2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

I believe its to do with your "usb legacy" setting in your bios!!!!
    I think usb legacy support needs to be enabled, not %100 sure tho!!!!
  3. chuckericson

chuckericson TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks Rik - I tried that and it did not make a difference. I've noticed that if I continue to reboot the PC, it will eventually start Windows, and the screen stating that Windows could not load successfully will come up - very strange. If anyone has any ideas about how I can correct this, I'm all ears!
  4. Rik

Perhaps the wireless mouse and keyboard is faulty?!?! It may be worth having it replaced just in case!!!!
  5. chuckericson

Thanks again for your input, Rik. I took it back and exchanged it, but no luck. I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I think its strange that it doesn't do the same thing every time, which makes me think that possibly some other hardware issue exists - maybe the motherboard is going? I'm going to try it on the front USB ports and see if that changes anything. Thanks again for your advice -
  6. Rik

Hmmm, not a run of the mill problem!!!!

Let me know how you get on and in the meantime i will keep a lookout for and info that may be useful to you!!!!
  7. CrossFire851

CrossFire851 TS Rookie Posts: 766

I would have to say windows is trying to load a driver for your USB device wich could be corrupt and thus holding up windows. Try reinstalling ALL of your drivers with the latest ones.
  8. chuckericson

YES! It was a driver for the Media Audio Controller, which I don't use, but nonetheless was screwing up the start-up. Thanks to CrossFire and Rik for your help!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.