Windows XP HD problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

chimp

Hey all, heres the deal:

Bought a new computer with this HD: Seagate ST3320620A 320G Barracuda 7200.10 16MB IDE Hard Drive

I had a copy of vista and XP, though i had never tried vista before. I installed it and it just kept locking up so i decided to go with XP. I unpartitioned the drive, and installed XP. All seemed fine, but then i realized my C: only has 127 GB of space. Where did my 193 other gigs go?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with this situation. Cheers.

-chimp

What are your system specs? You might need to update your motherboards bios to see the entire drive

Motherboard:

Asus P5N32-E-SLI Socket 775

RAM:

Platinum XTC Rev2 -2GB(2X1GB)DDR2 800MHz PC

CPU:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 1.86Ghz

Power Supply:

OCZ 700-Watt, ATX,120mm Fan,SATA Ready,SLI, EPS,Active PFC,Power Supply

GFX Card:

nVidia GeForce 7600GS(400MHz) 256MB GDDR2(800Mhz)

My bios notices the large HD fine, its just when i go to partition the HD with an XP disk that it says i only have 127GB of space.

Some more help would really be appreciated :)

Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc

Then in the bottom section it will say Disk 0. Next to it should be a block that says:

( C: )
<however many gb> NTFS
healthy (...)

That block should take up the width between the Disk 0 part and the right side of the disk management window. If it doesn't, you have some unallocated space. If there is more than one block there, you have another partition, which you may be able to delete if you're not using it for anything.

Hope I didn't confuse you too much...hope it helps too!

What kind of XP install disk was it that you used?

The original retail version of XP doesn't support partitions larger than 128Gb, so you will have to install SP2 to access the full disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back