TechSpot

Windows XP Home Ed. Desktop Background

By richc1865
Dec 1, 2009
  1. I had to reinstall windows on my PC when it *&%# on me.
    Since then I haven't been able to keep a picture on my desktop; it go back to the color.
    I'll go into desktop tab in display properties change the color, apply it, change the picture, apply it, change the picture to what I want and apply it.
    It will stay until I start something major, like SQL server, or I hibernate, and come back up.
    Then the color will show as the background.
    Also, I added a new user, and the background works OK for them.
    Anyone have any ideas what's wrong?

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Are you running an Administrator account?

A clean reinstall of Windows, should not do this, unless you have a Hard Drive or Ram fault
    You can run a Memtest scan by reading HERE

Note: "Clean" install of Windows is done by removing the partition during install
    Here's a guide (with large pics) on that:

Microsoft's Windows XP Home Repair Install step by step (* Including Delete Partition)
    http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

* Warning deleting the Partition will remove all User data and Windows system files

3. richc1865

richc1865 TS Rookie Topic Starter

No I did not do a clean install, I had no spare hard drive to back up my files.
    Thanks for the link on the clean install.

4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

If a Repair has come out with faults, then it may be best to buy some writable discs or just get a USB flash drive or USB external Hard Drive.
    Then backup all your data, and install clean.

Before returning your data, make sure you have an updated Antivirus software installed.
    I prefer Free Avira Antivirus

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.