TechSpot

Windows XP Home edition Image for sony vaio

By dace1
Jan 13, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi
    I have sony vaio pcv-rz 34g and i format the harddrive and my recovery disc what i make it does not working ,and i dont have originale recovery disc .I calll sony and they say that thay dot make amymore because it's old model.Can anyone make me a image from same model so i can have my factory os back.Please

Thankyou very much
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

No

this is illegal.

You must purchase Windows disc (or recovery disc), to use Windows
  3. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,535   +318

I'm not sure if illegal is word. Some actual legal advise may be handy here, but as far as I understand the original copy/license of Windows that you get when you buy a new PC doesn't "expire" when you format your hard drive.

Usually you are provided a reinstall CD or in some other cases there's a hidden partition in the HDD that can be used for such purposes.

Given your situation and Sony's lack of commitment to support their customers, I see no objection in borrowing a friend's installer CD or something of that sort, then use your license CD-key to activate the software.

Legal gray area or completely admissible, I'm not sure, but buying a new copy of Windows just because of a reformat sounds like a bad deal to me.

BTW, finding someone that has the Sony CDs for your specific model may prove much harder than using a standard Windows CD and then download all needed Sony utilities from their site.
  4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

This part is the concern ;)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.