Windows XP Home start up issues

By CarloT
Feb 5, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Yesterday my laptop (Dell vostro) with Windows XP Home froze. My wife tried to restart and it went to the Error page. Options I have selected:

Start Windows Normally: Goes to Windows start up screen- never progresses

Last Known Configuration: Goes to Windows start up screen- never progresses

Safe Mode: Gives me a full screen of :
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\WMILIB.SYS
    with all different drivers listed. It doesn't actually start in safe mode.

I ran a diagnostic (F12 during start up) and it froze during the extended memory test

The only "new" thing I can think of with the system is that my 6 year old was repeatedly inserting and removing an MP3 player. The failure happened a day later or so. I haven't tried rebooting from disk yet. I'm waiting for some advice. Thanks for any help.
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,689   +153

3. CarloT

CarloT Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks. I tried to do that yesterday, but ran in to an issue. I followed the steps on your link, and everything seemed to be going fine. When the computer restarted after reloading XP, it still hung up at the same spot, so I wasn't able to get in. Anything else I should try?
  4. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,113   +23

Try running a full harddrive diagnostics. It engages almost immediately after booting up. You'll need a blank CD in order to burn the free HD diagnostic utility from your harddrive manufacture.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.