Windows XP Home wont boot up in reg or safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok here's the deal.

I run windows XP home. I was on my computer (its a HP desktop) all day yesterday. I didnt do any hardware changes. I did have to go into safe mode and do a system restore from early in the week and after I did that, I restarted it a few times, it worked great and now...it wont do anything.

I turn on the pc and hit F8 to go into safe mode. I get the safemode option, I choose run in safe mode, and then my OS system and then the screen goes black and stays black. No blinking cursor, no blue screen of death...just black. It does the same thing when I just try to start it up normally. I get the Compaq start up screen and then it goes to black and nothing. No mouse, no sound when I hold a key down on the keyboard...nothing.

I have been reading in these forums for hours trying to find someone with the same problem and couldnt find one so I do hope that this post in not a repeat.

Please help.

Wendy

First best place to start is trying to access/backup your personal data. Plus, you might also try rebooting after running Step 1 after running chkdsk. See [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post]

What up my laptop has the unsuccessful start problem ive been reading about and i dont have a xp disc to reboot to, anything else i can do to get it to start like it did before i tried to go into safe mode. I know its got viruses

You will need a xp boot cd. You might be able to download one via bittorrent. It will be a legal copy since you own it (on your laptop). Your other option is to call you laptop manufacturer and see if you can order one. After you have the cd you can do a repair install or any number of other things with it. There may be some 3rd party boot cd's you can use to access your data and back it up which is the first thing you want to do before anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back