Windows xp home, wont start

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's something wrong with my computer, it keeps freezing at the black windows page that has a loading bar at the bottom [ it freezes at the bar ] . it happened many times before, and i inserted the window xp cd and used the recovery console to format C:, then installed a new window. however, while i was installing, the setup keeps restarting and simply worked after it restarted about 5 times. the computer was working fine again, until today when it show that window update and that it needs to restart the computer. when i restart the computer, it wont open up and just freezes at the window page. i tried leaving the computer off for 3 hours and unplugged all wires, hoping that it'll reset, but it didnt help. what should i do now? should i just format the C: and install windows again? whats making this problem anyways? thanks in advance

Run memtest at least 7 times for a thorough test on your Ram.

Can also be a CPU or HardDrive fault (hardware)

Also go to CMOS setup (you will notice a message like "Hit DEL or F2 to run setup" or something when starting your computer)
Once in CMOS select Optimized defaults

What you describe is typical of a failed hard drive. They are so inexpensive nowadays at www.directron.com, www.zipzoomfly.com, www.newegg.com, and www.outpost.com, that it is worth trying a change.
The problem is particularly common in Hitachi, Maxtor, and some Western Digital drives... and typical if the drive is over three years of age... where the first 4 to 8 sectors of magnetic material bubble up from the glass surface of the plate... then blow off from the strong centrifugal force.
If this is the case, the rest of the drive could be good, and a place to store backup files if you reformat it now and then. The drive defects will be isolated in a reformat, but those certain sectors must be where they are supposed to be... if a reformat codes them as unusable, the replacements created will not be reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back