TechSpot

Windows xp install troubles

By Quantex_rox
Mar 11, 2008
  1. My friend got a new hard drive for his computer, so he wanted me to install XP on it. So i brought it over, and tried to install. But gets to the part where it copies the files, and it gets about 2-3%, then just sits there, after about 10 mins, it starts back up. Now it is just completely stuck at 37%. We tried 4 different cd drives, and it still won't go. The cd drive will spin up, but nothing happens.

His computer is:
    Dell optiplex 160L
    2.4ghz pentium 4
    512mb ddr-266 ram
    integrated intel extreme graphics 64mb
    standard dell motherboard
    Netgear 802.11G 108mb/s pci wireless card

2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,077   +84 Staff Member

Test the HDD with one of these utilities and try your CD on another PC.

3. resu

resu TS Rookie Posts: 218

sounds like the hdd .. tho i have had the same near enough with a dodgy copy of xp . back in the day
    took me ages to sort it out and in the end i had to get another copy from another mate

how old is the harddrive anyway?

4. Quantex_rox

Quantex_rox TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 152

the hd is a brand new 160gb seagate we just bought for him from newegg.

We fixed it though, it turns out dell bioses for some reason have a setting to run the cpu at a "compatable" mode, IE it runs it at a super slow speed. Setting it back to normal (2.4ghz) took only 15 mins to install xp.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.