TechSpot

Windows XP Installation Damaged

By nintendo1889
Jan 12, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. My windows xp installation was damaged by this virus:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...cd749fcd467e729e2e0c402f7fa81a4cfd6/analysis/

The symptom I noticed is that it put files that were already on my hard drive, and put these same files in many other folders on my. These files were not infected, though. A scan with an updated Avast (obtained on a clean computer) through ubcd4win showed no viruses though.

I tried doing an inplace reinstall from my xp pro cd but it was a volume cd. It never gave me the Repair an installation option. It installed to a separate folder c:\windows.0 and installed the users to c:\docs and settings\all users.0, etc.... So all the data is still there and I get a boot.ini menu to boot my old OS. I get a 0x0000007b error when I tried to boot. I enabled boot logging but I can't find the boot logs. I used my microsoft XP DaRT/ERD Commander cd, but it shows no restore points.

Here's my boot.ini:

Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=15
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0

[operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
    C:\="Previous Operating System on C:"

[spybotsd]
    timeout.old=30

I am thinking I just need to bite the bullet and use the fresh install, but I wanted to ask here first. Most of my apps I use are portable already, just trying to avoid reinstalling all my apps that weren't portable.

2. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,855   +184

In my own opinion. I would just reformat the drive and reinstall my os. Its hard saying how much damage the virus caused . Plus how many more problems might pop up.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  3. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,395   +169

I agree. Best to bite the bullet and reinstall. Probably save you effort and grief in the long terms. Couple extra of words of advice BEFORE you reinstall
    > Make sure you have activation keys for Windows OS, MS Office, etc. plus any other programs you bought
    > Especially since you're reinstalling XP, backup your drivers before the reinstall. Save you time of tracking down any hard to find drivers again. See How To Backup Your Drivers

fimbles, Cobalt006 and nintendo1889 like this.
  4. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,385   +240

5. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,981   +168

People will leave XP kicking and screaming... Will an XP Repair Install work here?
    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

Many XP computers will run Windows 8.1 if the memory is at least 2GB. The CPU's are mostly 32 bit so Wondows 8.1 32 bit is needed. The most critical hardware is the video type and drivers

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.