Windows XP installation hangs at splash

I am installing windows XP on a Dell 745 - when it reboots to continue with the setup- it just hangs on the Windows XP splash screen.....
The light does not blink/power light is on/ i waited all night- went home and came back and it was still on the splash screen-
I switched cd drive, same. I switched memory, same. I switched cables for the cd and the HD same......
I changed the sata port on the board, started it, hd light came on for a few seconds at first and then went off- the network link light is on- and the keyboard num lock light will not come on- if pressed..... its frozen- splash screen on bar moving across.....

what could be doing this?

I'm guessing you didn't install the SATA controller drivers at the F6 prompt at the beginning of Windows Setup. On the other hand if you don't have a floppy drive (internal or external) this won't work anyway. Did you install the SATA drivers?

Thanks,

I have never done that- and have never came accross this problem, but i will try it.
I di not have a floppy and no- i did not install the Sata Drivers-
I never had to install the Sata drivers before set up was finished....

Thanks

Okay but have you installed Windows XP on this Dell before? Perhaps I should say have you ever reinstalled XP on this Dell before? I'm not questioning whether you know how or not, just if you've done it on this particular machine.

Back