Windows XP Installation PROBLEM, never had before

Status
Not open for further replies.

AquaFina

having a problem, that I never had before.. I am doing a clean install with windows XP Pro, and the install is going good, very close to the end of the installation now and the computer just turns off, and I when I restart it, the windows logo loads then OFF every time. I thought it was the windows XP CD at first, I tried another copy I had, same thing :mad: I try a third time with another XP PRO CD, unopen fresh copy and same spot computer just turns off :mad: :mad: I have no idea what is causing this problem. I am working on this now and will try again and try to find the problem. any help please would be great.

when you say near to the end, how near?

it would be useful to know (purely for ruling out a hunch I have) whetehr or ot it's perhaps at the stage where it's starting windows for the first time, or whether it's still installing drivers or whatever. do you know how many minutes it says it has left when it reboots?

after I did the network settings, time settings, and on the timeleft it says 3 mins left. Ill try to think of more. but I HTH.

OK, My hunch is still possible.

I had an AGP graphics card go bad on me once. It would load up fine , even displaying the windows bootscreen, but as soon as it got to the welcome/logon screen the computer shut down/restarted.

If you have an old graphics card to try it might be worth it, but other than that I don't know what to suggest. Someone else might know.

I was going to try it after I read your message but I was doing something else before switching my cdrom drive and my dvd around slave and primary just cause I been wanting to do it since I started.. not really related but for some reason after it would boot up to windows... only as administrator, like I lost my other profile.. not a big deal just a bit weird..

Great stuff! Well, I think if I were you I'd be counting my blessings. :)

well, at least it's working now, whatever the problem was. :)

It sounds to me like it is a hardware issue. If you are worried about the installation you could try removing everything except the HDD, CPU, RAM, and CDROM drive. Install windows to eliminate any unecessary hardware problems. Then once Windows installs fine you can add components and possibly determine which one is the culprit.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

yea, I would have.. been oK for now.. still worries me though cause something caused it and now I do not know. Thanks for all the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back