TechSpot

Windows XP installation problems

By Louiem
Jun 21, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firstly, I put together a brand new PC a few days ago. After I got everything running, a friend recommended I install Windows XP pro X64 edition. I did so, and my instillation went smoothly, but after the OS was installed I had several problems regarding drivers so I decided I would rather just go with Windows XP pro as my OS.

I started off by going into my bios and having my computer boot from cd-rom. The setting saved, my computer would not boot from my Windows XP cd, instead it would load up to XP X64. So I tried opening the windows XP from inside my OS and I started up the cd but the choice to "Install Windows" is somewhat of a faded/shadowed text that will not let me click on it. I tried putting in another windows XP home cd and it does the same thing. Anyone know as to why, and moreso how I can get out of this bind?

I'de appretiate any help, and thanks in advance.

-Lou
  2. Grok451

Grok451 TS Rookie Posts: 122

Are you sure you didn't get an option at boot time to boot from CD? On my system with the Award BIOS, if I set BIOS to boot from CD, I still get a prompt at boot time to verify I want to boot from the CD. If I don't hit any key, it times out and boots from the hard drive.

The other option is to create a boot diskette and format or fdisk the hard drive.
  3. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

That would be my suggestion, get a hold of a 98SE boot disk and format your current partition/HDD, then you should be able to boot from the CD and install XP Pro.

BTW
    :wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.