Windows XP: Installed New Display Driver and now only get a black screen on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. I've searched over the forums for a similar problem and I've found that people say to boot in safe mode. The problem with that, however, is that I only get a black screen when I start up and don't know how I would boot in safe mode. This started after I updated the display driver. Reformatting would not be an issue if someone could explain how to do it without being able to see. Thanks.

I'm using Windows XP Home Edition.

if you're getting a blank screen, this a no post. Do you see a ram or bios test when you power on? Read my NO POST guide in the guides forum.

No, I see no bios screen or anything. It all seems to boot normally, just without a display. I can even type in my password and log in (I can hear the log-in sound effect) but still see nothing. If I could see then I assume I could revert back to last driver and it'd be fine.

This could well be a No Post issue (so do look at the post referred to) but it's also possibly related to another issue

1) When you booted in the past, did you ALWAYS see the bootup splash screen? Or did you often or just sometimes see Windows Starting... message as the first boot screen? (If your bootsequence sometimes skipped past the splash screen it may not be a no post problem. Note: the computer is still POST'ing but the flash screen doesn't always appear)

2) Are you hearing a beep pattern or see any steady, blinking light patterns on your computer? (If yes, is NO POST problem)

3) Try booting from a bootable CD (like your Windows CD) to see what happens

Like I said, the problem started after I updated my display driver. It has always booted normally and without a problem. It still seems to do so, the monitor even comes on like it should, but there is nothing on the screen, just black. I hear no beeps.

While it seems like a huge coincidence, nonetheless, it sounds like the graphics card has died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back