Windows XP Installing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

martinlw

Hi,I have formatted my daughters computer,i booted up with the XP disc it loaded all the files but when it came to windows set up,it wouldnt go any further,thought maybe its the disc,so i tried it on my computer and my sons,it worked fine,obviously something wrong with her computer,but what i dont know. regards martin.

Don't format.
Remove the Partition

Here's the full guide to follow for that ;)

Microsoft's Windows XP Professional Repair Install step by step (* Including Delete Partition)
http://www.windowsxpprofessional.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

Microsoft's Windows XP Home Repair Install step by step (* Including Delete Partition)
http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

* Warning deleting the Partition will remove all User data and Windows system files

Edit:

Use Gparted Live boot CD if you cannot get to the part for removing the partition
Direct link H E R E

Thanks

Also do not manually create a Partition
Windows will automatically create a New Partition on a non Partitioned drive

Good luck, please reply back once tried :grinthumb (it should work ;))

But in case it doesn't work
Please run Memtest on your Ram

Hi,I have formatted my daughters computer,i booted up with the XP disc it loaded all the files but when it came to windows set up,it wouldnt go any further,thought maybe its the disc,so i tried it on my computer and my sons,it worked fine,obviously something wrong with her computer,but what i dont know. regards martin.

I have a similar problem that I have been researching under another subject heading. If this is the first time you have used the drive on that computer, is it
a SATA drive. If so, xp does not have the driver to recognize a SATA drive.

Do you get the BSOD with an error number which includes 0x0000007b

I think it is posted under operating systems and software. Sorry to be so vague but I am new to the site and unfamiliar with moving around, and being able to get back here where I started.

When you say it wouldnt go any further what happens exactly? do you get an error message ? you need to provide a little more info

If it is a SATA drive, any time you reinstall Windows XP you'll have to press F6 at the beginning of Windows Setup to install the third party drivers (i.e. SATA/RAID controller drivers).

If it is a SATA drive, any time you reinstall Windows XP you'll have to press F6 at the beginning of Windows Setup to install the third party drivers (i.e. SATA/RAID controller drivers).

Most if not all newer systems can set SATA drives as "native" in the BIOS therefore no drivers needed..

Certainly appreciate the input.
I have looked in the Bios and the only selections that I find for the HDD is
RAID, IDE, and AHCI My setting is RAID. I have tried the other two settings,
and there was no change in the install of XP. BSOD appears at time
to enter setup info/drive location etc. Error code 0x0000007b

What is the "native" setting that you discuss? And where do I find It?

If I don't get this figured out soon, I have an IDE controller card that I will install, and use an IDE drive. Surely that "should" make it work.

gguerra means IDE mode. If you want to use the SATA hard drive as a SATA drive, use AHCI mode. If Windows won't recognize the hard drive in IDE mode, you will still have to install the SATA/RAID controller driver and then you might as well use AHCI.

Do you have a floppy drive (buy or borrow) to use? If not, you can make a slipstream CD that combines your Windows CD with the appropriate SATA/RAID drivers. You can Google for the procedure.

What motherboard do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back