Windows XP is not booting to desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hijacked007

I got a bluescreen of death then the computer crashed and rebooted but never got back to the desktop.

So I had to go through a series of CMOS and Check Hard Disk to boot, i.e. ESC and DEL during DOS boot.

Then I ran Combofix, Hijack under Safe Mode, and before that did an AVG Anti-Virus and AVG Anti-Spyware, forgot to save spyware report, and so running it again as I write this and will re-attach if necessary when it is done to this post.

Please re-open HiJackThis and scan. Check the boxes next to all the entries listed below.
O2 - BHO: TTB000000 - {62960D20-6D0D-1AB4-4BF1-95B0B5B8783A} - (no file) PUP coupon bar
O3 - Toolbar: CouponBar - {5BED3930-2E9E-76D8-BACC-80DF2188D455} - (no file)
Now close all windows other than HiJackThis, then click Fix Checked.

Restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap F8. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode. Take all of the following off start-up:
O4 - Startup: RegVac.lnk = C:\Program Files\RegVac Registry Cleaner\regvac.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime

Take all of the following off of auto-update: This can be done at the same time you are stopping the start ups above because they will appear on the Startup tab- but you will also need to open each program and uncheck the auto-check for updates' in each:
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O16 - DPF: {0A5FD7C5-A45C-49FC-ADB5-9952547D5715} (Creative Software AutoUpdate) - http://www.creative.com/su/ocx/15031/CTSUEng.cab
O16 - DPF: {F6ACF75C-C32C-447B-9BEF-46B766368D29} (Creative Software AutoUpdate Support Package) - http://www.creative.com/su/ocx/15033/CTPID.cab

Stop this Service: You are running AVG antivirus and should not have a second antivirus program running.
O23 - Service: Panda Process Protection Service (PavPrSrv) - Panda Software - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Panda Software\PavShld\pavprsrv.exe
The following is a 'reminder' for you to register on Creative Labs or SB product. It does not need to continue running:
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\Updreg.exe
Either Register or remove the program. Once registered or removed, remove this entry.

No Go: Repost Hijack

Still Windows XP is not booting to normal desktop. Only Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking works.

Here is a new Hijack file after the above was done.

Thanks.

I just figured out something. I can just take 30 minutes to reinstall the OS. Sure fire way to fix anything. Hahahahaa! 1 up on malware writers out there.

Thanks again.

Anyway if everyone knows this technique, that would save them time/suffering: Re-install the OS fixes everything. Nothing feels like a fresh OS installation. Everything works smoothly and all you gotta do is reinstall all the necessary software that you need from an external drive or DVD/CDs.

Sure, but cleaning the infection is usually an easier route. Reinstalling the OS involves backing up of data, as well as alot of re-installation of old programs to do. Also, you cannot be sure that the infection/malware gets stored in the process of backing up your data.

Anyway if everyone knows this technique, that would save them time/suffering: Re-install the OS fixes everything. Nothing feels like a fresh OS installation. Everything works smoothly and all you gotta do is reinstall all the necessary software that you need from an external drive or DVD/CDs.

The main reason why many users can't solve some of their problems is because they don't know how to troubleshoot! I've seen a lot of systems messed up by those taking a 'shortcut' and reinstalling the OS, only to have something not work! Reinstalling should only be done if nothing else works- it has it's risks.

Are we to assume you are going to reinstall and do not require further help? You started the thread 5 month ago- did you ever fix it? You're back with basically the same problem and still don't know how to handle it! And you never ran through the malware cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back