TechSpot

windows Xp is somehow being detected as Windows 98.

By Jklol
Apr 15, 2007
  1. Ok I removed the Symantec but, I have a new problem. My windows Xp is somehow being detected as Windows 98 and I am unable to use things such as windows media 10,aim, aol, and certain other programs that are only for Xp and higher.

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Post moved to it`s own thread in our Windows OS forum.

Regards Howard :)

3. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,984   +168

Try doing a System Restore to an earlier date

4. Jklol

Jklol TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 21

I kind of can't do that I don't have any system restore dates.

5. Jklol

Can anyone help me? :confused:

6. rf6647

rf6647 TS Maniac Posts: 931

I am not able to offer a specific action. It would be helpful to know the exact text of the error message. My first reading of this thread had me wondering if some program is running in Win98 compatibility mode. Your other recent posts had you cleaning out a virus but I am not sure what came of it. Several steps in removing the virus touch the registry. Which Symmantec product did you uninstall? System Works had a registry cleaner/maintenance component.

One of the apps cited is Windows Media Player 10. You could consider doing uninstall/reinstall. Some of the other applications could be tightly intertwined with XP and uninstall/reinstall needs to be approached with disaster recovery as part of the strategy.

7. peepnklown

peepnklown TS Rookie Posts: 136

If you have your Windows XP CD you might want to try SFC .
    If all else fails you might want to look into doing a Windows XP repair but, of course you’ll need your Windows XP CD.

8. Jklol

Ok I just reformmated my computer so everything is better now.

9. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,984   +168

Save those penny's, nickel's and quarter's for a new computer that supports XP or Vista... we will get you kicking and screaming into the modern World of computing :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.