windows Xp is somehow being detected as Windows 98.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jklol

Ok I removed the Symantec but, I have a new problem. My windows Xp is somehow being detected as Windows 98 and I am unable to use things such as windows media 10,aim, aol, and certain other programs that are only for Xp and higher.

Jklol said:
Ok I removed the Symantec but, I have a new problem. My windows Xp is somehow being detected as Windows 98 and I am unable to use things such as windows media 10,aim, aol, and certain other programs that are only for Xp and higher.

Try doing a System Restore to an earlier date

I am not able to offer a specific action. It would be helpful to know the exact text of the error message. My first reading of this thread had me wondering if some program is running in Win98 compatibility mode. Your other recent posts had you cleaning out a virus but I am not sure what came of it. Several steps in removing the virus touch the registry. Which Symmantec product did you uninstall? System Works had a registry cleaner/maintenance component.

One of the apps cited is Windows Media Player 10. You could consider doing uninstall/reinstall. Some of the other applications could be tightly intertwined with XP and uninstall/reinstall needs to be approached with disaster recovery as part of the strategy.

Save those penny's, nickel's and quarter's for a new computer that supports XP or Vista... we will get you kicking and screaming into the modern World of computing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back