Windows XP logon problem - AVG virus vault

By bazter56
Dec 6, 2006
  1. Hi,

I'm having problems with my (other) computer ever since i performed a virus scan using AVG Free, and i told it to put the file:

in the virus vault. It then restarted the computer but when it got to the point where the logon screen should appear it restarted itself again. I have managed to get it started in safe mode but when i try to restore the file from the vault it doesn't have any affect. Also, the file is still listed as in the vault and I don't understand what else I can do to get it out of the vault!!!!

Any help here would be hugely appreciated because the only option I can see at the moment is entirely resetting everything.

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Boot into safe mode and try a system restore to before you removed the winlogon.exe file.

You could also try choosing the last known good config that worked option.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  3. bazter56

bazter56 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the help.

I tried that and did a system restore before the incident but unfortunately there is absolutely no difference!!!!!!

Any other ideas? I think my best bet may be to try and get it out of the virus vault for which my efforts are rewarded with a slap in the face and a lot of frustration on my part!!! Any clue how i can do this? obviously i have tried where it gives me the option to restore the file.
  4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

I think you may be better off doing a Windows repair as per this thread HERE. Hopefully that`ll sort it.

Regards Howard :)
  5. Gasius Flaxius

Gasius Flaxius TS Rookie

Baz...I was about to try AVG Free before I read this...did you solve your problem...are you still using it...SGF
  6. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

AVG free is safe to use, the only problem he had was that he quarantined one of window's crucial system files.. and you know what that means..
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.