Windows XP Media Edition won't boot

I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 on an HP Pavilion. No problems to date. Now when I attempt to start it up - it goes to the dos window where you can choose how to start it up - normally, safe mode, etc. - no matter which mode I choose, it always goes right back to that same window after it brings up the Windows Logo and blue bar. I am unable to get past this screen. Any Help or suggestions?

Thank you

Did you install anything recently, have experienced an infection, or do any software/driver updates?

Nothing was done to the computer. It runs all the time, went out of town and powered it off before leaving. Came home, it would not power on. Replaced the power supply with a 400W, it used to have a 300W. It booted just fine, computer worked fine. Now it just does that boot thing where it will only go to the "safe mode, normal,etc" screen. I bought a 300W power supply, still does the same thing.

hi jdiman89,

welcome to Techspot!

Just to verify you have installed NO new software or done any Driver Updates and CANNOT boot into safe mode.

First thing im going to ask you to do is to do a soft reset on the BIOS. To do this:
  • Open up the side of you computer and ensuring youa re static free loks for the CMOS battery.
  • Remove the Battery anf wait for about 5 minutes.
  • Replace the battery and restart you PC. This will reset hte BIOS back to factory settings.

While this may not be the cause it was something i tried once when occurrring the rror you are having and it did the trick.

Also have you had any BSOD (Blue Sreens of death) recently?

James

No blue screens. I will give that a try, removing the CMOS batttery, hopefully it will work. The only other thing I can think of is getting a new hard drive, loading a version of XP, then making the original drive a slave and copying the files over.

the meothod you have suggested would certaintly work and at lease you would be able to save your files.

No hardware changes took place did they? (other than the PSU change after it wouldnt boot)

James

Back