Windows XP not recognizing 1 gig RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just installed another stick of Kingston 512 PC2700 DDR RAM in my computer. I already had a stick 512 PC2700 in there, but only 512 is recognized in BIOS, and in my computer properties. The only thing is that in the program I have CPU-Z, under memory it says under in general that it is 512, but there's an option to select DIMM 1, and DIMM 2 there, and it lists my Kingston 512, and my other 512 under DIMM 1, and DIMM 2. My computer also does seem a little faster, but it doesn't recognize in BIOS or My Computer. Any suggestions?

Take the old one out, and insert the new one in its place. If it boots up, at least you know the memory is good.
If you have them, try mem-slots 1 and 3

Well.. I tried the new RAM in the same slot as my old one and tookt that old one out... It wouldn't Boot. So that means I have faulty RAM I guess :-/ Or my mobo doesn't support it.

.. Or it may just not be compatible with your board. This is by no means a rare occurance. Happens all the time!

Well I tried that memtest, but it still won't recognize it. So it's probably true that it is not compatiable, but what gets me is that it CPU-Z, it still recognizes what it is under DIMM 2... If it was not compatiable, then why would CPU-Z recognize it? That's all I don't get...

Detecting that there is a memory chip in a particular slot is one thing, finding if that memory works is an entirely other thing.

Go swap/exchange that rotten stick for a good one. If you bought it from Kingston, surely you have guarantee on it.

The main consideration for increasing the amount of RAM is the one that one know one is looking at. That is, what does your Motherboard (MB) specification in the MB booklet state? That specification will tell you if the MB is capable of having the RAM increased to 1gig or not

It says in my manual that...

3 x 184-pin DDR DIMM sockets support up to 3GB of unbufferred non-ECC DDR memory

(Note: PC2100/1600 support up to 3 DIMMS; PC3200/2700 upport up to 2 DIMMS; 1 GB PC3200/2700 with 32 DDR chips support to 1 DIMM only.)

I know this is obvious but, in A+ certification, the first step is to: fix the user (haha).

So anyways, did you insert it all the way properly? Make sure that when you insert it, that the two little "handle things" on each end of the memory, come down and lock in place. That's how you know its in all the way.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back