Not open for further replies.

Aetherynn

I put together an ASUS P5Q SE2 MoBo
Intel e7400 dual core
OCZ PC2 8500(4gb)
WDC 500GB SATA HDD
Sony cd writer
Pioneer DVD

Problem is it boots to startup screen runs first bios and memory tests the goes to black screen and doesnt run the XP install

I can get into the BIOS and appears everything is in order
Boot order is good dvd-cd-HDD
SATA is set to IDE
i even formatted the new HDD in my other comp and yet to still no avail any suggestions?

thanks

If you are using the Sony optical drive to install, quit. Use the Pioneer DVD drive.
What do you mean by, "...SATA is set to IDE..."

i have the pioneer dvd set to be 1st boot priority, and inder the Storage configuration is bios i have the SATA configuration set to enhanced and and configure SATA as IDE still same black screen boot

It is still unclear to me what you mean by "...configure SATA as IDE..." but then I am a rank amateur. Could you please explain. It may help in getting to the cause.

Its just a setting in the bios you have two options 1 is set as IDE(default) the other is AHCI

Under main Bios settings - Storage Configuration - Configure SATA as IDE(Default) or AHCI. No idea what AHCI is so i left it alone with the default of IDE

Thanks. I have never noticed that choice. The AHCI is short for Advanced Host Controller Interface which defines the operation of Serial ATA host-controllers. The specification describes a system memory structure for computer hardware vendors in order to exchange data between host system memory and the attached storage-devices. AHCI offers software developers and hardware designers a standard method for detecting, configuring, and programming SATA/AHCI adapters.

Many SATA controllers offer selectable modes of operation: legacy Parallel ATA, standard AHCI-mode, or vendor-specific RAID. Intel recommends choosing RAID mode on their motherboards (which also enables AHCI) rather than the plain AHCI/SATA mode for maximum flexibility, due to the issues caused when the mode is switched once an operating system has already been installed.[2] Legacy-mode is a software backward-compatibility mechanism intended to allow the SATA-controller to run in legacy operating-systems which are not SATA-aware.

Hi
Not sure if your still having issues but wondered if you had checked these few things. ( excuse if they seem to basic )

With the SATA drive connected does it show up in the bios screen .
Is there a menu on the bios that also shows the IDE optical drives information as in the manufactures info. to indicate that they are being seen.
Have the 2 optical drives got thier jumpers set to a master and a slave.

From the manual your mobo does not support RAID. This is one place that always seems to go wrong when ever I have carried out a new install with a SATA drive.

Have you ever carried out an install on a SATA drive before, not that there's anything too different just if there is RAID involved then it sometimes gets FU setting the RAID array etc.

Also as a side note the AHCI mode is not supported under a Windows XP environment for this intel chipset . There is only support for it in Vista. As stated in the manual.

yes the SATA and both optical drives show up in the bios and are properly named, and set to master and the other set to slave, ive done 2 new installs both with SATA and no problems but i have no idea what RAID is(lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back