Windows XP power option properties

By DON M
Aug 20, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all I have just got rid of a bad virus named (antivirus xp2008) real bad now
    i can not set turn off monitor for any setting but 5min.
    the numbers are there ie;10min-15min-etc. But will not work.
    Can anyone tell me how to get into taht system and how to correct it.
    Thanks--Don
  2. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +35

Don,. click on the Delete button at the top, under Power Schemes. Then make the new settings> Save as> Apply> OK.

Note: depending on the settings, you may get a message that the combination is not compatible. That is normal and you may have to make changes until you get an acceptable combination.
  3. DON M

DON M Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

power schemes

Thanks Bobbye; I did that before and lost the option (desktop home office) and can't put that back.
    where it says monitor turn off in 5min-10min-15 min--I can get -5min to work if i select 10 or 15 it will never shut down the monitor.
    ie; I have it in allways on--Don
  4. CCT

CCT Newcomer, in training Posts: 3,556

You can try a : Start, Run, sfc /scannow .

Failing that, a Repair install.
  5. Bobbye

Don, if you don't have 'Desk/HomeOffice', click on the arrow point to the right of the Power Schemes setting box and tell me what settings you do have- if any. All brands don't have the same names for settings, tell me your make and model and whether you have a desktop or laptop. I got fooled on this once and finally found out a particular brand has it's own names for Power Schemes.

Also, do you have the ability to set to go into Standby?
  6. DON M

DON M Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Hi Bobbye and CCT ; the computer is desk top and custom made with a MSI G33M motherboard as per-sfc/scannow it can't find anything like that in run.
    I believe the system is in windows but with out some guildence I hesitate to go there.
    Thanks so much--Don
  7. Bobbye

Try the Error Checking instead:

My Computer> Right click on Local Drive- usually c> Properties> Tools tab> Error Check> check both boxes on screen that comes up> OK> Close nag message that comes up and reboot.

Error Checking will begin in 9 seconds. Let it run to completion- the system will reboot when through. Post back with status report. If you don't do the Error Checking regularly, it will take a while to run.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.