TechSpot

Windows XP Pro - Flashing Cursor on Boot

By BluesGuitPlayer
May 30, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've seen some similar posts, but the suggested corrective actions don't seem to work in my case. Here's my situation:

I have a Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2 laptop running WIndows XP Pro, About a week ago, it would no longer boot. After a restart, the Dell startup screen would appear, then at the point where Windows would normally load, the cursor would just flash in the top right corner over a black screen (no beeps, no blue screen, etc.).

I tried using the Recovery mode on the Windows XP Pro install CD. I ran chkdsk and all looked good. I ran fixmbr and fixboot, but still no luck. I then tried a fresh install of Windows - still no luck.

Any ideas on this? If possible, I'd like to avoid a reformat and recreate of the partition(s).

Not sure if it matters, but this drive was installed about a month ago. The original drive was 60GB - this one is larger, and shows 137GB in a single partition.

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Boot with your Windows CD
    Go to the first R prompt
    Select 1 then select Enter
    On the recovery console, type: chkdsk c: /r (or chkdsk c: /f)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.