TechSpot

Windows XP Pro Freezes on Installation - file 'ASMS' is needed, XP re-installation pr

By KenB
May 1, 2006
  1. HELP PLEASE!

Have read many threads on this and other sites and tried everything suggested (except swap out CD drive - don't have a working older drive to try, just a brand new one, which I'm going to try anyway). This PC is at least 5-6 yrs old - has original Hitachi CD/DVD Drive (reader, not writer). Have unplugged ALL devices from back of computer (USB ports, etc). Just has (1)internal CD/DVD drive and (1) internal LS120 floppy drive left installed.

Something happened to computer - Windows XP Pro would no longer run. Tried re-installing Windows XP Pro. using OEM CD with hologram. Attempted to do a repair install, instead of a fresh install - hoping to be able to keep all programs/devices intact.

During installation, computer got stuck on: "The file 'asms' on Windows XP Pro Serv Pack1 CD is needed" Type the path where the file is located and click OK"

"Copy files from: Global Root\Device\CDRom0\I386."

The screen is locked, and I can not type or change anything. Keyboard will not type, mouse will not work. Can NOT change the path. Can not hit SHIFT F10 to get to a DOS prompt, etc.
    Have tried running in Installation Recovery Mode, and can get a C:\Windows prompt. However, can't copy any files from my CD (D:\) drive. Can't seem to be able to run REGEDIT. Wanted to try the MICROSOFT SUPPORT suggestion (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311755), but don't know how to get to REGEDIT.

I can get to BIOS/SETUP mode and back to Windows installation mode, but that's it.

Suggestions on what to try next?
    Should I try a "Fresh" Windows install? Will I lose any programs or devices? Will I have to re-install all my programs and hardware all over again, if I install in the same directory on C drive? Note, I have a NTFS file system on HD, not FAT32. Thanks!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.