Windows XP Pro Install errors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been trying for the past two days to install windows onto a new hard drive. A little background. I have a Compaq Presario S4020WM desktop pc. The hard drive in it stopped working and I did not have the recovery disks, so I replaced it. I ordered a new copy of Windows XP Home Edition, but ended up with XP Pro. I tried to install Windows after partitioning the drive to isolate it from other programs. As it was copying the files, I began to receive errors that some file could not be copied or found. I started over, let the install delete the partitions, and re-tried the install that way. It made it through the copying files stage, but after the reboot I received the following error:

SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file "D:\1386\asms\10\MSFT\WINDOWS\GDIPLUS.MAN" on line 4

I started all over again and this time, I was actually able to install and load Windows. Once it is running, I go to Microsoft to get the updates that I need, and nothing wil download. I tried to install System Suite Professional, it would not let me either. I once again, reformatted the hard drive to start fresh and now it hangs up copying the files. I am at a loss as to what to do at this point.

Is this a legit copy of Windows?
I ask this because there are many known non-legit versions that can have issues

Otherwise please run Memtest on your Ram

The Memtest is still worth doing

You may also want to reset your Bios settings to defaults
This is done by first pressing the key stated on system startup (usually DEL)
Once in Bios setup, locate defaults (may be labeled slightly different)
Apply it, then save and exit

How was the drive partitioned? Why did you not use XP setup for partitioning?

And what do you mean that you wanted XP "isolated" from other programs?

The next time you "reformat", remove the partitions and create new ones on a completely blank drive. The error you are getting is usually seen when an upgrade is attempted, so your drive does not seem to be truly "blank".

I did all of what you told me, and XP still will not install properly without errors. I sometimes get a different error when I retry the install. I even switched out the CD-ROM to rule out hardware. I have checked the disk for scratches and have cleaned it off. I have started over from scratched leting XP do the partitioning. What I am thinking (hoping) is that I just got a bad disk. I have requested a replacement disk and am waiting for it now.

Well just a note on removing Partitions during a windows setup
You are best Not to manually create a new partition or format the drive, as Windows setup, will do this automatically on a non-partitioned drive (which is better!)

Obviously you must first manually remove the Partition(s) during Windows setup first

How was the drive partitioned? Why did you not use XP setup for partitioning?

And what do you mean that you wanted XP "isolated" from other programs?

The next time you "reformat", remove the partitions and create new ones on a completely blank drive. The error you are getting is usually seen when an upgrade is attempted, so your drive does not seem to be truly "blank".

I did that. I originally partitioned the drive so that I could install the OS on its own partition. If I ever have to do a recovery, I do not want to lose all of the information on the hard drive. I am using a new 250 gb hard drive. I want to separate my programs from my files.

I tried to install XP and let it do the partitioning, and I am getting the same problem with the different errors. Either some files cannot be copied or they are corrupt.

You know how you said: "Compaq Presario S4020WM"

Well h e r e 's some information on installing Windows on it

I think you may be best to get the Recovery CD for this model (instead of replacing with a standard Windows setup CD)

I have tried to order the recovery CD for this model but Compaq doesn't make them any more. My only other option was to replace the hard drive and install a new Windows on it.

Have a look h e r e on confirming the Harddrive jumper is in CS (only for IDE connection harddrives)

Also there may be a Recovery CD for your model at eBay or somewhere
You may need to Google around :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back