Windows XP Pro Remote Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

I have recently followed a guide on the net relating to setting up IIS on my Xp pro machine to allow remote desktop connections to be made to it through a web browser. I followed the guide to a T but i still cant connect through my web browser both inside or outside the LAN.
I type in htp://computer_name/tsweb from inside the lan but nothing comes up.

When I try to connect to the XP machine using remote desktop on another machine inside the LAN then the connection works. I can also connect to the other computer using the xp machine.

Any ideas what I need to do to get it all running so I have remote desktop access through my IE browser (latest version)?

Try this from Start-->Run--> CMD window (followed by enter key on each line)

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /renew
net stop "DNS Client"
net start "DNS Client"

Or remove any TCP/IP settings in your network (make sure to write them all down first, in case of reverting back)

do you just want access to your stuff remotely or do you wanna access another computer where a user will be present, as in a kinda helpdesk scenario.

i often help my technophobe folks overseas with simple stuff by using a program called 'crossloops' to 'take over' their computer and make any necessary changes.

super simple to setup, works a charm. just needs installing on both.

maybe i got the wrong end of the stick. always found Windows XP Pro Remote Desktop a bit of a pain.

Hi surfersaiyan

No I want to access my desktop through any browser, do not have privilages to install anything on the work side and I dont want to have to get anyone on the other side to accept a connection.

The way i'm going is sound, only trouble is it isnt working!

Cheers

Tony

Have you enabled the Remote Desktop Service?

Contorl Panel> Administrative Tools> Service> right click> Properties on each Service below and set as follows:

Remote Access Auto connect Manager> set Start mode to Manual
Telephony> Set to Manual
Plug & Play> set to Manual
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager> set to Manual
Rashman> set to Manual

Reboot

Reset Remote Access Auto Connection Manager to Automatic. Service should already be started.

RPC- Remote Proceedure Call should already be set to Automatic and many Services need it to run
RPC Locator can be set to Manual
Workstation should already be set to Automatic. If it is not, set it to Manual and include it in the group before you reboot. Service will start on boot.

The one main part of Services is checking the Dependency tab. Services that are needed to start a particular Service must already be on Manual or Automatic. Be using the Manual settings first, then rebooting, the Service will be able to start. If you want to change any from Manual to Automatic, do that AFTER the reboot when the Services have already started.

NOTE: If any of the Services I've told you to set to Manual are already set to Automatic, leave them set that way.

Hi Guys

Cheers for the help, I can now access the remote desktop through my web browser from inside the LAN, now I have one final hurdle. To get access from anywhere on the net, which isnt working yet.

I have set up the desktop web access on port XX, i have opened up this port XX in my windows firewall, I have also set up port forwarding on my router to the XP laptop on port XX

I get the following message when I attempt to connect from the internet (through web warper)

HTTP Error
Cannot load the page at the address
htp://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:XX/tsweb

Cannot connect to Web-server "XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX"

Any Ideas?

Tony

Tony, I am not experienced in 'port' handling. Hopefully someone who is will stop by and help.

Cannot load the page at the address
htp://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:XX/tsweb
Cannot connect to Web-server "XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX"

I think there is a syntax error here: Note the "hpt" instead of "http".

4 posts so he needed to write htp

Also RIES does that, it resets everything in IE
Um unrelated to here!

Hey All

Many thinks for taking your time to help me out, its all working perfectly now after much perseverance.

Best Wishes

Tony.

I think webwarper was the issue, got a friend to try it from his pc and it all looks good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back