Windows XP Pro won't load

Status
Not open for further replies.
One morning I found my computer with a black screen and what appears to be an error message but you can't read it, I'd say it was a foreign language but it look liked random, letters put together to make words. For example: jmkleil is similar to what one word would look like. I restarted the computer and it was fine. Now however I can't even get windows to start up, the very first screen I get is normal. where it shows the specs, then it goes to the screen that gives you options to start in safe mode, safe mode with networking, restore last known config., or start windows normally. Before I get to do anything all the letters of the words change to what looks like the word above. I can still choose the option I want but the the screen I presume is an error message about a file (I know because I can make out only one or two words). That is about s far as I get. I have no idea what's going on, I tried to reinstall windows but need to get into bios to startup from cd, I can get there but once again cannot understand anything on the screen. Any help would be appreciated, Thank you
oh here's some info: windows xp pro, compaq presario sr1110nx

Well the machine is getting on to 5 years old now

But sounds to have a hardware fault with either:
Power Supply
Video Card
Ram
CPU

It could even be the Motherboard :(

Have someone open it up and remove all internal dust, and reseat all connections and addon cards
That may fix it
If not then you may need to start swapping parts, and for that old computer, I probably wouldn't purchase much (except a newer computer ;))

There's actually a few things you can do here, but I agree with Kimsland, don't stress too much about it because this sounds like a serious problem. First start with running memtest86, make three passes to ensure your memory is ok. Remember that memtest checks some processor functions as well so if it looks bad suspect the memory first, but it could be something else. Try booting plain safe mode and see if that will work. Next download the Linux Ubuntu Live CD and see if that works O.K. If it does then you have a harddrive or O.S. install problem. Next try doing a Windows recovery. Google that and you should find instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back