Windows XP Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I am gonna try to explain this the best i can.
My computer runs 2 user at present 1 user is able to access internet explorer with only a few minor problems while the other user cannot access unless all normal steps are bypassed.
When i click on the internet explorer shortcut i get a message that saying "Internet explorer has encountered an error as must close. any unsaved work will be lost. A error report is bein generated for you to send to microsoft" or a message very close 2 those words.

However i can enter internet explorer by the start menu if i follow the steps below.
Press Start
Press All Program
Right click on Internet explorer and select Run As
I am then asked to select a user to run the program and i click current.
Then i recieve another error message reading
"APPLICATION ERROR"
"Exception EInoutError in module AVGTOO-1.DLL OOOOADDD
Unable to create directory"

Here is a list of some of the things that are happenin.

1 - As this user once i do get into internet explorer i have tried to disable add-ons but it will not allow me too do this.

2 - I am unable to open any page from the favourits list of either user in internet explorer

3 - When i save a web page to the desktop and go to reopen it from that shortcut i get this error message "Internet explorer has encountered an error as must close. any unsaved work will be lost. A error report is bein generated for you to send to microsoft"

4 - I cannot open any help topics in internet explorer

5 - Cannot open a web page from a link in an email. Have to copy and paste link manually instead of just clicking on the link.

6 - When i try to access help and support throught the start menu it does not open. i get the hourglass as mouse pointed for bout 2 seconds but nothin happens then everything returns to the way it was.

I know this all sounds very wierd and has got me stumped as to what it could be.
I am not extremely computer literate but i have a general idea and have not been able to find any answers in all the forums i have searched.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joel, it sounds like you don't have Internet Explorer set as the default browser.

Check these settings:
Control Panel> Internet Options> Programs tab> CHECK 'Internet Explorershoild always check to see if it is the default'> Apply>> if you get the message that it is not set as the default and question if you want it the default, choose Yes> Apply> OK

You might have to reboot.

Let me know if this works.

Hi

Thanks for the tip. Have set explorer as default browser and rebooted computer but still no change.
I thought it may have been a problem with AVG giving the error message so i uninstalled and reinstalled still no change.
Also this may not be related but just found out have no sound in media player and all drivers are installed and working. and cannot access and help topics in media player either.
This has really got be stuffed this time.
Thanks for the help.

Hi Guys

I have half solved the problem now thanks to ur tips.
Turns out there was a problem with AVG and also a problem with a web page add-on but have solved both of them and can now use internet explorer.
However i am still have trouble viewing help menu's in both exploer and media player. Can open up the help page but when i click a subject in the index list and click view nothing comes up.
anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the update Joel. Finish installing Avira if you choose to o that, and I would like to rule out malware. I think it's better if you follow the steps here, running all three programs> Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, then HijackThis. Attach all three logs when done.

Steps here: https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

Malware could be the cause of what you're experiencing and I think scanning with all 3 programs might be of more help than just running Malwarebytes.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the tip bout the log files.
They are all attached below.
Hope you can find something in them

Thanks again

Attachments

• SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log - 03-21-2009 - 06-00-53.log
    9.9 KB · Views: 13
Joel, due to the evident type of sites you are visiting (check Tracking Cookies in SuperAntispyware) I will not be offering you any more help.

Hi
I have just had a look at the log myself and realised what you are talking about.
I had no idea that those sites had been accessed.
When i confronted my sons they both told me that they had been on them. Thats teenagers for ya.
I am sorry for wasting your time.
I will try an find another way to solve my problems.

Thanks.

Yes by "parenting" and "supervising"
Note you can even get Parental programs that can stop this too (check Google for this)

Good luck :grinthumb

Note: Malware removal experts cannot very well help when you will likely be re-infected

I am sorry for wasting your time.
I will try an find another way to solve my problems.

You didn't waste the time. Now YOU know where your kids went because the COULD! And they will continue to so.But until you put blocks in place, the malware infections will continue- not even to mention damage it could be doing to your kids!

One of my clients have the same problem,
Its easy to see its a wierd permissions error.

So far I have fixed it by loading up the administrator accounts,
Going to safe mode,
Open command prompt and then regedit,
Select HK_LOCALUSERS
Go to file, permissions.
Add, Advanced, Find
Then add your account
Then make sure your account has full control.

Im yet to find a better way, and if someone could explain this in greater detail that could be handy, I don't have the time at the moment unfortuently.

Hope this helps :}

~Corey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back